• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Not sure what this plate covers exactly on my 480 ce. I’ve cleaned and painted it twice but must keep getting pretty hot. Is it like the exhaust manifolds and you just leave it or is it abnormal for this spot to get so hot.Would there be some sort of gasket for this.Bill

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Walter
    Participant

Yes going to try some high heat paint. Should have been trying that sooner as the Cummins paint didn’t hold up.I’ve now gone to krylon gloss ivory.seems to match most and good price.yes rust is the enemy.Found these electrical connections behind after coolers pretty rusted so it slowed up putting the after coolers back on. Was a job as back nuts were hard to access and really rusted.All put together now thanks again for the help..

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Bill you could try a high heat brush on paint. I know you and rust in your engine room is certainly not acceptable!

William Walter
    Participant

Thank you. Figured as much but wanted to make sure. Will only wire brush in the future..

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Waste Gate Turbo burning paint

This is 100% normal in this area.. Surface temps run 400-700F+ at times. The later “Q” engines with wastegate turbos have covers so you cannot “see” the hot area. Keep it wire brushed??

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.