• Creator
    Topic

Kevin Cummings
    Participant

I have been reviewing all the videos in preparation for a complete maintenance of the raw water side of my twin 6BTA-370 engines, including the replacement of R/W Pumps with SMX 1730’s, New Gear Coolers, Combo block /Fuel Cooler removal,  and After-cooler/Heat Exchanger maintenance. 

A couple of questions that I couldn’t find on the forum:

1).  After-cooler Maintenance Video – What are the twin bolt specifications that were used to mount the After-cooler shell onto the vise in the shop. Looks like 4-6″ length from the SMX video, unsure of size, metric? It’s on the backside of the after-cooler, so I wont have access until removal.

2). Fuel Cooler removal video – Brendan makes a very strong point about not forgetting to install the flare cap over the old oil pressure tube, as part of removing the combo block. Would you recommend a thread lock (like Loctite or similar), to ensure that this flare cap doesn’t accidentally loosen with vibration over time?

In my case I have very difficult to access my port side engine, and want to ensure that this potential single point of failure is securely fastened.

Thank You

Kevin

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The turbo/exhaust flange bolts are 8MM, I’m thinking those aftercooler mount bolts are larger, so could by the 10MM’s….

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kevin Cummings
    Participant

Thanks Tony

Thank you Tony,

We appreciate everything you do for us end-users trying to understand and maintain  the Cummins products.

Kevin

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Metric —   8 MM or  10MM–I should know that–I need to check……..It sucks being 74

Woo

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2
    1. From memory the thread is 3/8UNC. Regardless, you can actually use the very bolts you removed to hold the housing in the vice. Thread them in someway and line up the flats then place in the vice.
    2. In my case I used a little Rectorseal. It’s supplied in the SBMAR kit and mine are leak free.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.