• Creator
    Topic

Scott
    Participant

39 bayliner with cpl 1975 330’s. The previous owner pulled the rinky dink fuel filters off the forward bulkhead and installed a pair of Racor 75900’s for each engine, mounting them on the stringers.

After reading and re-reading Tony’s articles on fuel filtration I realize that only have 2 stages of filtration; the racor (prelim) and the last chance filter. The racors have a vacuum gauge but no tattle tale needles and I am not going down there underway on a regular basis to check them.

I would like to have 3 stages with good vacuum data so am considering:
    1) remove massive racors and sell on ebay
    2) install double double on forward bulkhead for each engine
    3) install squeeze bulb kits (already on the way from Seaboard)
    4) remote mount last chance filters for both engines on bulkhead
    5) remote mount starboard oil filter on bulkhead

I have owned the boat for 5 years, put about 150 hours a year on the engines and have not had fuel issues. Would this configuration give me better filtration than what I have? If this is feasible I will have a lot more room for maintenance between the engines.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Go for it. As to your number 4 above, probably not worth the effort because if you go with the SMX Double Double setup you can pretty much forget you even have a last chance filter…

I just gave my CPL1975 330B’s a Racor to SMXDD swap. I did good on eBay with my Racor’s and the xtras that you see in the pic. Winning bid total was $305, shipped. They were very clean.

I opted to compact the DD setup and the squeeze bulb to fit my space better.

Here’s a bunch of pics.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.