• Creator
    Topic

Bill Csete
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Katherina
    Engines: Cummins QSM-11

Hi,

When changing zincs on a QSM11, I close the thru-hull and open the sea strainer (usually cleaning the strainer anyway).  I take out the upper large zinc and usually more water drains out and no water comes out.  The fuel cooler zinc can also be removed with no water coming out.

However, the lower large zinc still has a lot of water come out when the zinc is removed.  

Is there a way to drain more water out of the engine so the seawater doesn’t spray all over?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

“usually more water drains out and no water comes out”

That is a confusing sentence…. But I think the simple answer is no, on any engine the water is going to seek it’s own level based on the seawater loop geometry, your LWL, weepage/seepage through the impeller, etc.  What does work to control the water flow is to slightly loosen the upper zinc (without breaking the seal) and then remove the lower zinc completely  and the drainage out the lower zinc will be slower and more controlled with the upper zinc still in place not letting air in.  Once the lower zinc flow is down to nil, remove the upper zinc. m Also helpful if you can freshwater flush the engine before pulling the zinc this way any runoff or spillage is fresh, not salty.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.