• Creator
    Topic

john
    Participant

I have been asked to service a qsm11 aftercooler. Access is less than stellar to say the least. I looked at it today. So does the engine heat exchanger need to come off first? Looks like no other way. Any tips to guide through it? I have the seaboard kit and looks like I have everything to do the job. Thanks in advance!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

John,

Any chance you documented your service with pictures? I am sure those would be of great value to others with the QSM and are looking on the site for a How – To on the QSM AC Service. There is plenty on B and C engines. Maybe we could collaborate on a Tony’s Tips article. I am happy to write it………..

How did you clean the core once it was out? Did you pressure test it before you put it back in?

I am very interested in this topic. Let me know……..

john
    Participant

I did the service on the aftercooler last week. It was pretty straight foreword. Remove the piping. Removed the inlet manifold. Remove the end caps and top of the aftercooler. Lifts out from the top. Much heavier than it looks also. The kit from seaboard was nice as all the parts were there.

Larry Backman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Skipjack
    Engines: QSM 670

Iā€™m 4 years and 2 service in

Replaced my engine with a remans in 2016, I have done the AC/HX side every 2 years, fuel cooler and transmission cooler on opposing years. I canā€™t find pictures but winter of 2018 the AC was dismantled from the top, core removed and cleaned in a bath while the HX was serviced in place with Rydlyme and riddled out. Last winter/2020 the HX was also removed, taken apart fully and serviced in a bath. We also had the exhaust manifold regasketed while the AC and HX were off.

It may sound extravagant but spending 5K on preventative service every 2 years is better than buying new parts when something fails!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

John,

If this is a dry “DRY” QSM aftercooler, servicing it properly , depending on “things” , can become very involved….. Nothing Cummins puts in print on this subject come even close to “real life”……..

Just ask “Larry Backman”..

My suggestion is to the leave proper service open as to what you “see’ as to take it all apart.. None of them come apart as would be expected as Cummins never looked ahead .

Tony

john
    Participant

Ok that makes sense. Sadly itā€™s a lobster boat and ther never thought about someone ever working on it. Iā€™ve seen a lot of these lobster boats like that. Thank you for thereply

Larry Backman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Skipjack
    Engines: QSM 670

Remove top of AC, unbolt pipes, haul,out core?

My old yard pulled the H/X before the AC. My current mechanic who was at Cummins 10 years or so before branching out in his own blew me away 2 years ago. He texted me he was at the boat, by the time I got there a half hour later the top of the AC was off, the raw water pipes were on the deck and he was pulling the AC core, leaving the bottom of the AC housing bolted in place.

I wasnā€™t there so I isnā€™t see the order he did things but it sure seemed effective and smart to me…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.