• Creator
    Topic

clovehitch
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Soulmates

Hello, I am new to this site. I am looking into the purchase of a 2003 Novatec 55 powered by twin QSM-11, 535 HP engines. The vessel has under 700 hours and I’ve been told it has had very little use it was last serviced in 2013. I have read that the QSM-11 engines may have a wet or dry turbo and exhaust system. Do all QSM-11 engines have a dry system or are there some with a wet system. If there may be either system how would I determine which system it has and what would be the advantages or disadvantages of either. Other than very little use and a long time since it was serviced are there any inherent issues with these engines. I welcome any insight or recommendations from anyone regarding these engines.Ā 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

clovehitch
    Participant

Yes, this is Good Vibrations. I have had Volvo-Penta Diesel powered and Iveco Diesel powered vessels but I am not familiar with Cummins Diesel power. The Racors show a concern of fuel stability and I am not certain as to the engines aftercoolers condition having low run time since 2013, and it has been in salt water.Ā 

Thank you and Tony for your responses and I will be thinking hard about going forward. I didn’t want to cruise at the slower speeds.Ā 

clovehitch
    Participant

Thank you. I will review the information in the link.Ā 

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Good Vibrations?

CloveHitch,

Is this Novatec the one listed in Sea Bright NJ with the name “Good Vibrations”?Ā  If so, I have looked at that listing from afar.Ā  Nice boat!Ā  Sitting around and not used in salt water will probably mean there is work to be done on the sea water cooling circuit.Ā  I do see discoloration on the lower part of the port aftercooler in picture #43.Ā  So they have run on plane for some of those 700 hours.Ā  Sea Trial will be instructive on fuel burn in the range Tony mentions above.Ā  There is a Tony’s Tips article about manifold health and it shows the 535 curve.

Assuming that you buy the boat…..When you are having the entire cooling circuit serviced off engine have your mechanic evaluate the current condition of the exhaust manifolds.Ā  The exhaust manifold is tucked in behind the AC and HX.Ā  So while they are off it is relatively easy to gain access.

Those Racor’s look old so you might consider replacing with the Seaboard Double Double with squeeze bulb.Ā  Also looks like fresh water flush should be added and you can always add Wolverine oil pan heaters.

That 55 looks like a very nice platform for long distance low and slow cruising with the ability to get up and go if you need to.Ā  Let us know how things go with the survey and Sea Trial.Ā  I am very interested in how it all turns out for you on this boat.Ā  I am a bit jealous if you can’t tell………

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your 535 QSM’s are “dry”, but with that said, IMO, were programed thru the ECM with the best “power to engine life” power curve of all of them.. …………………………………..Now it comes down to to catching up on maintenance , how the engine are actually loaded in the 1800-2100 RPM range and if you are happy with the vessel performance in that RPM range ..

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.