• Creator
    Topic

Ty Anderson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ty One On
    Engines: 430 Volvo

I’m installing a running takeout QSC 540 into my boat and found the dimensions I used to set up the engine beds to be off it seems. Dropped the motor into the boat last night and had to set it on blocks as the front beds seemed way too low. There seem to be spacers between the engine bracket, this a factory part as I plan to take them out. Two, I see an arrow pointing up on the mount but it would be beneficial for me to flip these upside down. I did a search to look for photos of QSC front mounts and found a photo from this site showing them installed upside down so I wanted to ask about this practice here. I can’t imagine a strength issue doing this. I’ve seen two different styles in pictures as well. Is this a model year variation? I have photos of mine and one from your site found through a google search

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ty Anderson
    Participant

Thank you everyone for confirming this. Engine was dropped into the boat two nights ago and today I spent some time gathering up the tools and supplies to assemble the gantry in the wheelhouse to lift and shift the engine around. After some measuring today I’m 3/8 high on the gear end and have to shift the rear a good inch to port so looks like I may have to notch the stringer to clearance the fuel cooler and fittings on it.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The spacers can be removed and the brackets flipped over or even modified.. 90+ % of all QSC’s & QSL9’s we mount need something different than what comes from the factory as a “one-size” seems to never fis all.. Use at least 9.8 grade bolts and double check the 4 x 12mm bolts that hold the cradle to the block.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ty Anderson
    Participant

Flipping them I believe comes close to achieving the results from the specs I got off this site with a ZF280 gear. However, the arrow shows they were intended to be installed the way they are now. I just wanted to post this up to throw it out there for responses. Going to call a boat builder friend Monday morning as well

Bill Stenger
    Participant
    Engines: 250 Hp 6bt M1

Those mount brackets seem to be upside down to my eye. If you flip them it will get you much closer!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.