• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by John.
  • Creator
    Topic

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Getting ready to service my aftercoolers. I have done the QSB’s prior but the QSC’S are new to me. Looks a little more involved with the fuel and oil cooler attached.

What is the best way to remove? Any pics of the removal process? Should I plan on removing all 3 coolers as 1 unit?

I know what to do once they are off and will photo document,

TIA

Mike

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

One more thing. Take out the condensation drain plug and tube on the rear inboard coming out of the bottom of the AC before trying to remove the AC.

If I recall, the AC is much easier to take out if you don’t have that there.

Cummins Aftercooler Condensation Drain Plug

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

exactly what i was looking for. Thanks

Mike

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Mike,

It’s really quite easy.

Once the raw water tubes and a couple other items are disconnected you just remove the four bolts holding the fuel/oil cooler, then lower it so you can gain access to the bolts holding the after cooler.

Remove those 8 bolts and a couple on the top and the AC will be free.

I don’t remember the exact sizes but you can do it all with 1/4″ drive, probably btwn 8-13mm (most might be 11), an open end or two, maybe a universal as well. One of the two bolts up top was a bit of a tight fit but nothing crazy.

Crack the three bolts on the end caps while AC is still attached too since it will probably be easier to get the torque you need to loosen them while the AC is still bolted down.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.