• Creator
    Topic

Steven Williford
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Pacific Grace
    Engines: Cummins QSC 8.3

I have a 2007 vintage QSC 8.3 engine in our North Pacific 52′ trawler. The engine has 2300 hours and is a 540hp rated engine. In the 16 months of my ownership there has never been a drop of oil, coolant or raw water under the engine. We just returned from a two month cruise to northern British Columbia and I put over 120 hours on her in the two months. I generally check the engine space and fluids every day or two and last week when we returned home I found about a gallon of engine oil in the catch tray. It had been three days since I last checked oil levels. I have never seen this type of occurrence on any other engine. Sure, some have slow drips but this engine was dry from the first day. I checked under the engine for obvious leaks or breaks but nothing. Cleaned out the tray and put down new pads then ran her for an hour at the dock (not under load but about 700 to 800 rpm) and no repeat and no drips anywhere. The only thing that appeared out of the ordinary was the dip stick was not fully inserted into the tube.

A local technician was on the boat last spring and pointed out the crankcase breather valve (p/n 3964093) as a thing to keep an eye on. This apparently helps manage the blow by being returned to the turbo.

Anyone have any advice on this really bazaar occurrence? Any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steven Williford
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Pacific Grace
    Engines: Cummins QSC 8.3

Andre,

Thank you for your response. I think the dipstick is the most likely problem. This event only happened when the dipstick wasn’t thoroughly inserted into the tube. I will become much more vigilant on checking the engine and the position of the dipstick and will run her under load for a couple of hours and confirm that nothing is amiss. Your response has certainly helped to belay my worse fears. Thanks again.

Steven

Andre Huizing
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mr.Bean2
    Engines: QSC8.3 490hp

Hi Steven,
    We had the same 2 years ago on our QSC8.3. I’m a bit more anal in checking. In my case I was checking in the engine room while underway and saw oil coming from the dipstick. I thought there was something seriously wrong. Long story short. These engines have too short a tube for the dipstick. When it’s not all the way in it will push some spray out. Hence when not checked for 3 days of cruising I can easily see this becoming a gallon when the dipstick was not well in.
    Cheers, AndrƩ

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.