• Creator
    Topic

Brad Arrington
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Jennifer B.
    Engines: QSC 8.3 600

I’m looking at a boat that has the option of 2 engine packages: a Cummins QSB 8.6 600hp, or a Volvo D8 600hp. Any thoughts on the differences between these packages in terms of overall performance, service requirements, longevity, and ease of owner-performed maintenance?

I’m somewhat familiar with Cummins from having owned and worked on a QSB 6.7 480. The Volvo is new to me so I have no reference. Unfortunately I can’t compare performance specs from the builder because the Volvo is to be a newly-introduced package and the data is not yet available.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

habibrayeq2
    Participant

I believe the Cummins engine you are referencing is the QSC 8.3 600. I will not be able to offer a ā€œtechnicalā€ reply comparing the Cummins vs Volvo. while Volvo Penta engines excel with their unique marine torque. High torque at low rpm gives rapid acceleration to the plane and massive maneuvering power fishing equipment stores in dubai. Even at high load and high rpm, the torque remains strong to provide efficient cruising speed in all conditions. A propulsion system from Volvo Penta is easy to maintain. It has high-quality oil, lubrication, and coolant ensures uptime and top performance in the long term.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrisHamish
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 'Beluga'
    Engines: CAT C7

For what its worth, I recently did a comparison between the current Volvo D8 and the Cummins QSC8.3 for a repower of my Grandbanks 46.

Performance wise, both are 3000 rpm rated speed engines. The Volvo D8 is a 7.7 litre engine and slightly lower torque production. The QSC is a larger displacement 8.3 litre engine and a bit more torque.

Both are seawater aftercooled engines.

Then there is the parts/service issue. Just ask around the dock/marina and see what current owners tell you (the ones that owned Volvos all told me similar stories re parts/service). Its not that they are unavailable, its that they are v expensive.

I ended up going with QSC8.3 at 550hp.

Hamish.

Brad Arrington
    Participant

Volvo D6 is for sure in mainteinance far more expensive,and it has parts like aftercooler that are not serviceable like Cummins,you can clean it once,next time no way,because they are fresh water cooled,and if not using original Volvo coolant(60L),and changing it every 2 years,this aftercooler getc clogged up,and engine starts to overheat.

Price for new one is also big one,and in general,Volvo parts are expensive. I am working also with Volvo,but if you can choose between Volvo and Cummins,Cummins is better option for boat owner.

The point about the aftercooler is a good one. However, I think the design of the D8 cooler may be different from the D6. The D8 specs state the aftercooler is seawater-cooled. I had initially thought that perhaps it was fresh water-cooled, and therefore some of the service intervals would be extended. Perhaps this is not the case.

Brad Arrington
    Participant

Yes, it was indeed a typo. The 6 is right above the 3.

Support like this site provides is certainly a factor for owners that like to do their own maintenance.

Matthew
    Participant

Volvo D6 is for sure in mainteinance far more expensive,and it has parts like aftercooler that are not serviceable like Cummins,you can clean it once,next time no way,because they are fresh water cooled,and if not using original Volvo coolant(60L),and changing it every 2 years,this aftercooler getc clogged up,and engine starts to overheat.

Price for new one is also big one,and in general,Volvo parts are expensive. I am working also with Volvo,but if you can choose between Volvo and Cummins,Cummins is better option for boat owner.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Looks like a typo there – I believe the Cummins engine you are referencing is the QSC 8.3 600. I will not be able to offer a “technical” reply comparing the Cummins vs Volvo but I think your second paragraph pretty much says it all. We know Volvo’s are tougher on the wallet as to parts/service pricing and from my experience a thinner network of support/dealers as well. And, of equal or perhaps greater importance, where will you ever find the support for any non-Cummins engine equal to what is offered on this website and forum…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.