• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Troy.
  • Creator
    Topic

Troy
    Participant

I’m in need of a turbo housing for my 380 qsb, a used one will be fine.
    Please advise if anyone knows where I can find one.
    Thanks

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Troy
    Participant

Thanks Rob, wasn’t looking for any feed back really, I know what caused the issue. This was not my design, it’s what they used in another boat. I will be using the stock wet elbows. I am replacing the same model qsb that I have now with newer running take outs.
    As I posted earlier, the risers were on the engines when I picked them up.
    I never saw them hooked up in the vessel.
    Poor craftsmanship was the main culprit, i’m just looking for another turbo housing to replace the one that was compromised.
    Troy

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Very hard to provide thorough feedback seeing things piece by piece… do you have any prior (pre-disassembly) engine room pics that would show the risers as installed on the engines ?

Troy
    Participant

380 riser

This is the riser that leaked, the other one was fine and the bolts were easily removed, the bottom, or shorter elbow was connected to the housing and the mixer was attached to the top flange.
    1035 hours on engine.
    Troy

Troy
    Participant

The mixer was not on the riser when I picked up the engines, but the risers were still attached.
    I will post a picture of the whole riser, it was indexed exactly vertical or straight up an down.
    The flange was not sealed completely flat to the housing and the water contacted the bolts on the inside of the flange which destroyed the bolts and rusted an indentation of the gasket into the housing leaving a pretty deep groove.
    We could of milled the face of the housing and cleaned it up but the bolts were basically welded to it and could not be removed.
    The machine shop deals with quite a few of these disasters on turbo housing and typically can fix them but this one couldn’t be saved.

Troy

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Let me see the mixer and how it was orientated in relation to the turbo.. I.E., let’s see all……………………..There is way more to a “destroyed turbo” than a warped flange.

Tony

Troy
    Participant

A warped flange on this “custom” riser destroyed the turbo housing from a saltwater leak.

Tony Athens

Post a good pic of the “riser” that did you in……………………..Let’s makes sure that this does not happen again.. . I’ll give you a “freebie” from the best eyes around, so take advantage of that and share..

Tony

Troy
    Participant

Thanks Tony,
    the housing suffered severely from a leak at the “custom” riser flange that appeared to be a little warped.
    My local machine shop is pretty good at fixing these but this one was to far gone unfortunately.
    I figured I would start my search here.
    Thanks

Tony Athens

A good one is very tough to find.. May I ask why you need a new housing?

Usually when we come up with a good housing, we just use it and build up a complete “as new turbo”..

If it helps your search, the base turbo housing for the QSB 5.9 230-380 and the turbo housing for mechanical 6BTA 5.9 CPL1975, 2208 & 8457 are interchangeable for what you want. ..

Tony

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.