• Creator
    Topic

elliott womack
    Participant

I just removed my 5.9 BTA with the bosch P pump. I removed the engine had it rebuilt and re installed it myself. I was having a heck of a time priming it with the lift pump so I installed a primer bulb as I have seen Tony recommend on almost every instance of this situation. I am curious though because it does not seem to be working properly. Should the primer bulb be able to push fuel through the lift pump? I was having difficulty getting fuel out of the injectors/ pump so I loosened the banjo fitting that feeds the injector pump and the primer bulb pumps and gets hard but I’m not getting fuel flowing out of that banjo fitting. So my question is should the bulb be able to push fuel through the lift pump or do I need to simultaneously pump the bulb and pump the lift pump thumb button.Ā Ā 

Engine serial: 46047939

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Leaves

Certain types of bugs lay their eggs in a rolled up leaf, Iā€™ve found these in all types of materials, itā€™s the round hole that they find attractive, nail hole, bolt hole, or open fuel line, makes no difference to the bugs! Ā <br />No, I donā€™t know what bug, never caught one in the act.

elliott womack
    Participant

100% sure they are leaves. when you stretch them out on the dock and let them dry they are definitely leaves. I don’t think it is possible for them to be in the tank as they came out of the line after the 10 micron racor. (between racor and the engine). It has been running great for the past couple of weeks hopefully that was all there was with that particular (and peculiar) issue!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I noticed those veins too but still had trouble believing they were leaves. I wonder how long they would last submerged in diesel fuel. Could they have come with fuel you took on at some time ago and are in your tank? Ā Do you have an inspection port on your tank?

elliott womack
    Participant

Yes positive they are leaves, when you pull them out one by one you can see the perfect leaf shape and theĀ  veins running through them. they are not from the tank this came out of the line from the racor to the lift pump. While the engine was out of the boat and getting rebuilt the hoses were just sitting there un capped. Still do not know how leaves could have gotten in, especially that many…..

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Leaves, are you sure about that?Ā  If you had leaves in your tanks I think you would have bigger problems and know how they got there.Ā  Couldn’t it be some form of sediment, coagulation, etc. that just came out in those leaf like shapes and sizes when you blew the line?

1 user thanked author for this post.

elliott womack
    Participant

I wanted to be sure I left post of the resolution. Blew out the supply line backwards (disconnected from the racor) and out came what? LEAVES bunches of leaves… the engine took a month and half to rebuild with the boat on the hard… no trees anywhere nearby only concrete… not sure how it happened but here is a picture of what came out. Thanks for the help!Ā  Ā 

(engine was running on its way to get hauled out just had excessive blow by)

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Further to Tony’s caution, when I do something where slow and easy is essential (like blowing out my boat’s domestic water lines before I run the non-tox through) my “safe” method is to use my pancake compressor and to first drain the compressor tank completely, make my connections and then turn on the compressor and let it start moving air from zero PSI.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

My only caution is to very careful using anything from an air compressor —Ā  Be sure and leave the lid OFF the fuel tank when doing any type of back blowing a fuel delivery system.Ā  Go about it slow and easy

elliott womack
    Participant

Today after trying both the lift pump and the bulb at the same time.. after days of trying to get this primed I decided to remove the line going to the lift pump (the one that comes up from the fuel inlet block) No fuel! Bulb is pumped up rock hard. Lines traced visually over and over. In is in and out is out. Bulb facing the right way etc. This of course is on the port side of the port engine where you cant reach any of the connections down there to pull the fuel line off. Any ideas? We are thinking of using a blow gun and a air compressor to blow the line backwards into a bucket from that connection. Anything to be aware of or worried about doing that?

A little background. The engine ran just fine when removed just had way to much blowby and was pushing oil out of low pressure connections and things like the dip stick.Ā 

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

In my experience it will not squeak through the check valve at the lift pump.

Have you seen this:Ā  https://www.sbmar.com/articles/using-the-squeeze-bulb-effectively/

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.