• Creator
    Topic

John Muldoon
    Participant

Okay is it normal for the fuel and volt gauge to show a reading when the key is off? I have my starboard fuel and volt gauge actually showing volt and fuel level and my port side at zero.

I have also had issues on the port side volt gauge bouncing from 12-14 and below. Also when I turn the key on prior to starting the engine on the port side it drops to around 8 before starting. The starboard engine remains strong at around 14 when the key is turned on and the engine is cranking.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

To me you have two issues:

Fuel gauge: You answered you’re own question as to it being normal to show a reading when the key is off. The STBD does, the PORT does not, so assuming they are wired the same something has gone amiss. Normal for fuel gauge power is either at key on or via a dedicated switch on the dash. You need to understand exactly how they are wired. Follow the wires by eye and use a handheld meter or a test light and follow that fuel gauge circuit and see where it’s getting it’s voltage.

Erratic Voltage: What exact engine? Sure sounds a lot like the symptoms of a loose connection at the engine mounted circuit breaker or the harness going back to the dash gauge.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.