• Creator
    Topic

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

I have this oily residue on my alternator & alternator bracket.  Anyone have a good guess where is coming from? Including a couple general pictures of the engine room as well.  

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The leak is most likely not at leak but the oil mist/vapors in the engine room be recirculated thru the alternator (back to front) over years of use . Look closely at the back of the alternator.

JimmyK
    Participant

Sorry, probably obvious to most, but should have mentioned these are 6cta 450’s.  Need to update my profile which shows 6btas…

JimmyK
    Participant

I’m just buying this boat.  I would give the engine room a B- for cleanliness which is well well above average when looking at used boats.  Pictures can be hard to interpret compared to being there.  Essentially no rust, paint is in good shape.  I think with a thorough weekend detailing it will be an ‘A’, at least for its age.

The CCV is…nada…just the stock metal tube venting to the back starboard side corner.  Some signs of oily mist there on the stringer but–shockingly to me–not bad at all.  Will likely add an envirovent system but as I said it is not pressing.  There is oily mist around those breather tubes and this one alternator.  It’s not covering everything and clearly the seller is no neat-nick and it’s obvious he was not down there ‘hiding’ other oil leak issues before the sale.

The substance on the alternator is oil of some sort, not belt dust.  No belt dust to speak of.  Both the mechanic doing the survey and I were stumped to where it came from and figured we’d have to wait for sea trial (6ish long weeks away) in order to figure it out.  I thought someone here might recognize the symptom and point out a likely cause to investigate.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Here is my take…………….An engine room that is not cared for bas Iwould see fit.. I am looking at years of mist and accumulation of the same that that not been addressed……………Tell me I am wrong..

What type of CCV system do you have to deal with normal  “blow -by” ?  

Tony

Neto
    Participant

is it rubbery? it could be belt dust accumulated.. 

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.