• Creator
    Topic

Ted Bumgardner
    Participant

I have a small amount of oil coming out of the aluminum turbo housing that the air filter attaches to.  Appears to be coming out at the gap in the large “snap ring”,  This is happening at my Starboard engine, the port engine turbo is leaking a extremely small amount of oil.  No drips on either side, just a small “spray” causing spots as the photos show on the Starboard engine turbo.  Removing the air filter and looking inside it looks new and clean with no oil visible.

I asked my mechanic about it when he was out doing some other work and his response was: “clean it up and keep an eye on it, but until it drips I wouldn’t worry about it”

Is this normal for the 6BTA, or should I do anything about it other than clean it up and keep an eye on it?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Patrick Mangum
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Patty Wagon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 330

Hey Rob – I didn’t want to leave you hanging so here’s a quick update – 

After running a full offshore trip the oil spatter issue seemed to clear itself up.  Prior to the trip I cleaned everything up externally – 5 hrs roundtrip at 2200 and 8 hours on the troll – still clean when I got back to the dock.  I’ve continued to monitor on the past couple of light cruises and still no oil spatter.  

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Patrick,

Goto 2:14 on this video and he shows this style snap ring removal/replacement.  Very simple, it’s just all about using a quality set of good sized slip joint pliers and getting a good hold of the clip.  Take some pics when you do it and post to this thread.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Patrick Mangum
    Participant

Rob,

Yes – I added the oil right at the oil supply inlet.  When I added the oil it didn’t really go down into the turbo as I would have expected.  I also rotated the blades on the air side as I added the oil to get things moving.  

I changed the oil around the same time and put 13 quarts in the pan.  Oil level is at the low mark on the dipstick.  I have Racor 4500 CCV filters and Seaboards air filters.  Both are clean.  Air filter off – looking inside – the blades are perfectly clean.  

I’ve been seeing and cleaning up this little oil splatter basically after every trip since doing all my exhaust rework and using the boat consistently again .  Sometimes its hardly there and sometimes its a little more as shown in my photos.  I checked the connection at the oil supply inlet and used a small amount of rectorseal when installing the oil supply line.  

Does Seaboard have a write up or some guidance on removing the big turbo clip for cleaning?  I understand Tony recommend to WWM for the time being but just want to get an idea on how to go about cleaning the air side housing.  Thanks! 

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Patrick,

No, the oil you added to the turbo was here, right? (see attached)  That just lubes the bearing and drains back down into the oil pan.  Your added oil pre-startup was a good thing.  When Tony speaks of over fill of oil in the pan that oil mist is getting into the CCV system and into the intake air going through the turbo compressor (air side).

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Turbo Air housing leaks

99% of the time, you do not have any issues with your turbo when this happens, although many techs will sell you a new one for oil drip from the air housing. … It’s just an accumulation of blow-by fumes, oil inside the air housing–Remove it and clean the blades and the housing along with the air tubes etc. ( lacquer thinner and a paint brush works the best)

Your issue is exacerbated by the following:

1—Over fill on the oil pan (read my article)

2—high cruise speed running angle

3— above average , normal blow-by

4—clogged or restrictive air cleaner

5—less than ideal engine room ventilation

Overall, I consider removal and cleaning on the air-side turbo housing a normal maintenance procedure every 200-500 hours on engine operation, especially on any of the HP version of B & C’s In you case, your oil spatter just needs external cleaning and a watchful eye (WWM)

2 users thanked author for this post.

Patrick Mangum
    Participant

Same Issue

Tony,

I’m experiencing the same as Ted, also on my stbd 6BTA.  When I re-did my exhaust risers I had the turbo sent off to be cleaned up.  The turbo shop said they also replaced a seal.  

I pre-filled the turbo with fresh oil upon installation.  I later found out that the turbo shop had already pre-filled the turbo.  So, is it possible the cause of my leak is excess oil?  Sent photos to the turbo shop and they said the issue is 100% external to the turbo.  

No oil on the air side with the filter removed.  Racor CCV filter is clean.  Oil level kept towards the low mark on the dipstick as recommended.  

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Take it apart and clean all “Spic & Span”  Nothing scary but the snap ring needs a very good pair of  medium sized channel lock type pliers to deal with it–This is can be normal maintenance on these engines about every 500 hours or so depending on things 

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.