• Creator
    Topic

jim wick
    Participant
    Vessel Name: wanderlust
    Engines: 430 diamond

I thought it was the pan gasket. Nope, not so lucky. It’s on the port side. Just above where the pan gasket and rear main seal meet. I have been told by a great retired cummins marine factory mechanic that it looks to be a freeze plug or plate gasket in there. I hope my terminology is correct. Transmission needs to come off and all seals/gasket/plugs need to be redone. I have a company willing to pull it apart, seal it up and put it back together. 2 guys for a full day. Two grand. Any thoughts. Hints. Pitfalls. All input appreciated. I hate to spend 2k to save a gallon of oil a year but I think I should just bite the bullet.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

jim wick
    Participant

Good luck

Hard to see much

jim wick
    Participant

Photos

Photos are tough. It’s on the outboard side. Behind the aftercooler. Behind some wiring. Against the hull. With a mirror I can see it on a couple of the aft pan gasket bolts but it comes from just above the pan. Then it makes its way Aft over to the (Bell housing?) and then down.

jim wick
    Participant

Leak

I keep a cookie pan under it. I’m guessing one ounce oil every two hours of run time. Thanks rob.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You left out two important things

Good photos of exactly what your are seeing.

If you clean it all up 100% and put a diaper under it how much is accumulating in a certain timeframe?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.