• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

I previously had a leak from a hole in my airsep which I repaired but am still leaking oil.not quite as much as I was but probably 2 quarts over 80 hours.i got in bilge yesterday and found this.im thinking rear main seal but I cleaned as best I could and will monitor.im not sure what the hole is in picture.could that be a source of oil leak.Bill

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Walter
    Participant

Seal leak

Well my seal leak hasnā€™t gotten any worse since this last post.I cleaned area up and put a threaded garden hose connector from bell housing to a hose which goes to a gallon water bottle that lays in bilge.keeps bilge clean and I can monitor how much oil goes through there. Iā€™m getting ready to change oil and was told that adding brake fluid could swell seal then change oil.not sure if itā€™s a good idea or waste of time.not sure if there are any other products that might work.Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

3/4″ pipe plug on the bottom of the bell housing in a marine application , IMO, is a true “couch engineer at work” again, as he has ZERO field experience with what happens or can happen in the bilge of a boat.. ”Long story”, but just remove it and think no further..

Tony

William Walter
    Participant

Leak

Ok found plug at hardware store and closed that plug.realy can’t see anything better than those pictures because it’s at the bottom of my engine.two questions. What is the purpose of that plug and should any oil be in that area.engine is a Cummings 480 ce.Tony would u have any input to that. Bill

William Walter
    Participant

Leak

Was able to borrow a camera with scope on it and discovered the hole had no plug in it on port side and stbd had plug in it.does anyone know where I can pick up this plug. Looks to be threaded.Bill

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Got any pics from further back of the whole area ?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.