• Creator
    Topic

Shawn
    Participant

I just got a new used 6bta 5.9 330 and it has no wiring on it. I looked at the wiring diagram on this site and I’m pretty sure I can get it going but have a couple of questions. Can I put a fuse in the 10 amp breaker position? (I don’t have a 10 amp breaker handy) I don’t have aux magnetic switches on the engine, does it really matter? The diode it’s showing, what’s it for and is it needed?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

The magnetic switch is essentially a starter solenoid, yes.

Marine Magnetic Switch / Starter Solenoid

Shawn
    Participant

Ok, I already have a fuse from the Cat there then.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The 10amp breaker is protecting the harness that leaves the engine room and feeds your helm station.

Shawn
    Participant

Well what I was thinking, being I have the old Cat harness there already is that I’d connect the ignition to the fuel shut off “hold” (purple) the start wire to the starter “start” (yellow/red) along with “pull” (white) then well all the gauges and are pretty simple. Also are the aux switches basically just a solenoid? What is the 10 amp breaker protecting?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Start with a universal harness: https://www.sbmar.com/product/on-engine-universal-distribution-harness/

You can use a fuse where the breaker goes… shouldn’t matter — just make sure it’s accessible.

You only need ONE mag switch to start the engine… the other mag switches run the air heater circuit (if applicable).

The diode prevents feedback to the fuel shutoff solenoid from the alternator so you can shut down the engine.

Why Won’t my Cummins Marine Diesel Shut Down?

Diagrams are all here: https://www.sbmar.com/cummins-marine-diesel-engine-wiring-diagrams/

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.