• Creator
    Topic

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

2000 6cta 450’s.  1900 hrs.  Twin install in 38′ boat.  Top end I hit 2680rpms via laser tach with full fuel, waste, water, 5 adults on board.  Engines both run well, start right up even when stone cold.  Mild soot on transom but I think it’s probably normal.  Port engine lags Stbd a little when getting on plane but not crazy–probably lags by about 2-300rpm until stbd fully spools at ~2100rpm and then port comes up.  Port has what I would call moderate blow-by which is noticeably less than Stbd which I would say is minimal.  Takes maybe 10-15s to plane out (seat of the pants estimate).  Fuel burn is almost the same, port burns slightly more, maybe 5%–tough to be sure as the generator pulls from one of the tanks.

SO, to my question.  I have only owned the boat for 6 months, I have good service history and noticed they’d never been done. I was adjusting the valves just as preventative maintenance.  About 1/2 the valves on the stb were out of spec (gap too big), all but one on the port out of spec (gap too big).  Nothing crazy out of spec, just typical stuff.   So as I’m barring the engine over with the rocker cover off I notice 2 of the cylinders on the port engine have noticeable hiss or leaking on their compression stroke.  Cylinder #1 (for sure) and the other was #3 (I think, memory might be off).  Sounded like a valve to me.  Question…something to be concerned with or just run it given the history/performance I’ve shared here?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Go fishing—–Go thru the seawater side & aftercooler top to bottom

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.