• Creator
    Topic

Keith Giller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riv. 43
    Engines: Cummins 450 Diamond

I have a 43′ Riv with 450 Diamond’s. I’m pulling the boat next week in Ventura to replace the thru-hulls and the strainers in the boat. My mechanic, yard and the guy who works on the boat suggested the rectangular hull strainer over the scoop and getting rid of the typical basket strainers in the boat all together. Still have the original strainers (1999) and they’re metric and to access the basket on the port side you have to take apart part of the exhaust to get to it.

So essentially I would only have the raw water hose to the valve, no basket. I’m told almost nothing can get through these type of hull strainers but just a little nervous I wont be able to “see” what going on in there.

Anyone have thoughts on this set up or have one now? Thanks.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Keith Giller
    Participant

Holy sh*t! No bueno.

I have a diver once a month doing the bottom and I’m sure he’ll service the new strainers when he’s down there and pull off as needed.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Here’s an example of a “forget about it” strainer

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Good point you bring up Steve – they are not a “forget about it” item (but not much on a boat is).

You definitely want the removable screens which all sold today appear to be. My maintenance of the screens is to remove them and, thoroughly clean both sides and apply antifouling, grease the edges/tracks and reinstall. This keeps them clear and serviceable.

Keep an eye on paint buildup reducing the hole diameters over the years. A drill bit standing in a vice makes a good setup for clearing the holes.

Keep them cleaned and serviced and have zincs fitted to them and they will service you well for a very long time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

having done some reading just.. it seems fairly common to do this in the US.. i’m not sure its done over here in Aus.. I assume you mean the external strainers with a fine replaceable mesh?

My main concerns would be growth on the screen blocking it up.. its bad enough on the props that whip round.. on a fine screen with no antifouling I can imagine it would be really bad if static too long.. Mind you I’d save some engine room space and it may make maintenance a bit easier on the engine because of that!

Mind you if you dont have growth issues there.. they seem fairly good!

I think my first post should be ignored having read more.. šŸ™‚

Steve

1 user thanked author for this post.

Keith Giller
    Participant

Thanks…

Thanks SO much Rob, this makes me feel a whole lot better about this set up as I’m used to tho entire inboard strainer assembly.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

I agree with the mechanic’s suggestion, especially if they are in the way or not easily accessed. My current boat was repowered in 2001 to include the Buck style bronze ā€œsquid screensā€ and no internal basket strainers. Zero issues. Simplifies and saves space in the engine room.

Keith Giller
    Participant

Thanks Steve

I know other Riv owners here in CA who have done away with the internal strainer and have never had an issue.

I should have been more clear, I donā€™t need new thru hulls just the strainers. Thanks so much!

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

In my honest opinion i’d be keeping the strainer baskets and getting rid of the mechanic!

On my boat the through hull has a finger strainer over it to keep the big stuff out. The fine stuff can get through – but at least you can clear it without diving the boat or lifting the boat. Surely an external strainer would just get growth build up and block?

Can I ask why you are replacing the thru hulls? Mine are still original at 22 years old and in good condition (bronze) I have good access to mine. If you need to do the thru hulls could you not relocate the strainer assy or run a remote strainer (Thru hull – valve – pipe – Strainer) so its placed somewhere better?

I’d be surprised if they are metric as most marine stuff in Aus is still imperial as its generally bought in from overseas..

Steve

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.