• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Onan generator..cleaned up this old heat exchanger best I could..I don’t have end caps or gaskets but wanted to make sure it would hold pressure before I purchased parts.tried to test fresh water side because I couldn’t figure out how to seal the salt water side but my setup didn’t hold pressure. Anyone have a good way to test this.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Walter
    Participant

Pressure test

Tested perfect after putting more tape on the gauge assembly.

William Walter
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas.The pressure gauge is plugged in to the square block that had a plug in it from the first picture.I used adapter in the kit.caps are from stool floor protectors.I clamped them but not sure if they are air tight. Going to dunk it as you suggested to see if they are.Didnt have a hose handy that fit so I tried them.Tried this for gear cooler.Held fine.no zinc but outlet for pss.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Those caps look perfect, just add some sealant and some clamps, no? What is the pressure gauge schrader valve unit screwed into ?

The zinc port on the sea water side always makes for a perfect test port. You could make up some thick smooth wood end caps in that nice woodshop of yours and cut out some gaskets from sheet rubber and give that a good. The heat-ex is small enough it’s easy to dunk it to pinpoint any leaks when testing.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.