• Creator
    Topic

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

QSC8.3-540 serial 46724431

found a small oil leak that is mostly nuisance but I’d like to fix it. It appears to be coming from the front timing cover behind the harmonic balancer. How big a deal is this going to be to fix? I can access the front ok and I can get impact on balancer bolts…

1. If I attempt I’m going to have to remove the balancer, how hard is that going to be?
    2. Going to have to remove the crank pulley, special tools?
    3. I assume I would replace crank seal as well as timing cover gasket… ?.??
    4. What else as long as it’s apart?

Phil

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant

Looks like they make a kit for replacing the crank seal that includes the seal, installation tool, and six nuts although I only see 5 studs….

How hard is it to remove the balancer and pulley to get to the seal?

And as I was scanning through quickserve diagrams I noted a ‘filter’ part number 4903218 in the injector tube… anyone ever change those out?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I believe this was not uncommon on that engine, although far out of warranty did you consider making a call to Cummins? An engine room as meticulous as yours can really work in your favor in getting them to support their product with the same pride and passion as you do.. if the call goes nowhere so be it, nothing to lose really. Just a thought……

Philip
    Participant

Hi Tony –

No I have not torn into it. I just found the leak last Friday and don’t even know what I would be getting into if I was to attempt a fix.

I was going to sit down tonight and try and figure out how hard it is to just replace the crank seal, what special tools if any are needed and cost of parts.

If that didn’t fix the leak then I would be facing a timing cover reseal and figure that’s a more time consuming job….

I could clean it up and WWM, but I’m assuming it won’t reseal so at some point I’m going to dig into it, just wondered what I would be getting into…

Phil

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Did you ever tear into to it? If me, I’d just clean it all and WWM…

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.