• Creator
    Topic

Nick Wootton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Banksea
    Engines: QSB 5.9

Morning USA

This discrepancy seems large to me – other than ongoing issue with IMT fault (which I am assuming definitely isnt related as this is Zeus pod area) – should I do anything like replace transmission coolers on the pods?Ā 

My guess is they havent been – 10 yo boat with 200 hours –Ā 

Whilst the temps are not outside SBMAR tips and hints Im not overly comfortable with such a difference

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Did you do a HAND TEST in different places and compare?Ā  With a 60F difference, it should be obvious ..Ā  Ā Tony

David Amble
    Participant

I would be looking a replacing the temperature sensor in stbd zeus drive , or at least swapping them over to see if the fault goes with it. 76C at 600RPM in neutral is most probably not due to the cooler or the water flow. For your refence, my last boat had triple QSC600/Zeus drives and when cruising at 2400 rpm, the gear oil temperature never got over 65C at 25C water temperature and there was never more than 3 degrees difference between the three engines.Ā Ā 

1 user thanked author for this post.

Nick Wootton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Banksea
    Engines: QSB 5.9

Thanks Gene – altho the higher temp is on the engine that has the lower IMT temp – typical huh – nothing is easy!

I have reconditioned both turbos and am doing the same with the coolers, then will flush raw water side and take out again. Any temp issues I will replace transmission oil cooler s/b side and try againĀ 

Gene Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Yorkshire Rose
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

other than ongoing issue with IMT fault (which I am assuming definitely isnt related as this is Zeus pod area)

I am not familiar with the the Zeus gears, but if they are cooled with the same raw water flow as the engine then it is quite likely the high temperature is closely related to the cooling system blockage described in your IMT topic.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.