• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

So, I’m having issues with water getting back into my turbo.

Thought I had safe design, but obviously it isn’t working. I think part of the problem is the roll back during stopping that I understand to be common with 4 cylinder diesels.

Using a stock yanmar mixer, going to 3.5 hose approximately 4′ long with a good pitch to a water lift muffler. The water lift muffler sits forward the engine and discharges up at into the cabin seating which is most likely 2′ above the sea level. This then pitches aft through an exhaust fitting with a flap. I do have a high loop on the sea water supply with a siphon break.

Any thoughts on ways to correct my situation. A dry riser with a long length? I am limited to height above the engine, only about 2″ maybe to spare.

Thanks D

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Wesner
    Participant

Great talking with you and thanks for your time!

Iā€™m very comfortable with mechanical, glass and some welding/fab work. Changing the effects of gravity is something I havenā€™t been too successful at but really am curious to your thoughts on the redesign.

D

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

David,

After talking with you today and going over all the pictures, there really is only one solution…………………… A total redesign of the system…………………”GRAVITY” is your killer

The 1st question really is “how hands-on” are you, or maybe , you have access fair priced local fabricator / versatile welder?…Plus, you will need some FRP work too as you muffler to totally inadequate as to water holding capacity. ……… I”l supply the design changes “au gratis”..

The answer to that question will dictate a large part of the cost needed to make this right… I cannot see what needs to be done would be less than $3000+ ( S. Calif. $$) by the time the dust settles unless you happen to be very hands-on and have in-house fab capabilities..

David Wesner
    Participant

Pictures sent.

Tony Athens

Send me all the pics direct in full res——————- [email protected]

I still cannot see the turbo to muffler perspectives that I need, or the relationship of the turbo to the space / deck above it or the perspective of the outlet of the muffler to the rest of the boat and exit from the engine room to ??

You have to put my eyes everywhere..

David Wesner
    Participant

I’ll get some measurements today.

Exhaust high loop goes into the forward bench seating to port.

Tony Athens

Yanmar Turbo/engine eating saltwater water

That’s a BIG OUCH

I will try my best to guide but first, I have to see the entire area/engine room/hatch/current exhaust from a distance to I can “see” what you have to work with clearance wise .. Stand on the back deck and shoot forward too.. Want to see the whole boat/deck arrangement.

Also, make a side view sketch of what you have showing the elevation of all components in relation to the LWL–Use the turbo center line for reference

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.