• Creator
    Topic

Robert Vetrano
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knot Flying
    Engines: qsb 5.9

My stbd QSB 5.9 exhaust blanket has some black soot on it. Hasn’t changed much since I’ve owned the boat. I’m away from her at the moment but plan on taking the blanket off and replacing the tabs as they’ve broken.

Is this pretty indicative of an exhaust leak? Either on the riser or turbo flange? Or just normal?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Robert Vetrano
    Participant

Interesting, i had no idea!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

And thanks for explaining where you were going with the “cold” items. Good to know your train of thought.

Just like in a house (especially a kitchen or anywhere you burn sooty candles) when you see ghosting you know where your cold spots are from missing insulation, etc…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Robert Vetrano
    Participant

I’m glad my pics made you feel like you were in my engine room, lol. All sounds good. I need new tabs on the wrap anyway, so I’ll probably just get a new wrap rather than cleaning the old one.

And thanks for explaining where you were going with the “cold” items. Good to know your train of thought.

Thanks!!!!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Ya done very good on the pics………………What I thought may be happening does NOT seem to be of concern…

With what look like soot on the wrap, I thought you may have a substantial exhaust leak– Things look good as exhaust soot flying around the engine room will attach to cold surfaces–You do not appear to have that…………………

WRAP– Maybe just a low quality wrap that is breaking down ?????

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.

Robert Vetrano
    Participant

Here’s the rest. The water pump cap is scratched up…..I’m assuming the mechanic from a PO was looking for the p/n since the port motor has a brand new Sherwood pump on it.

Robert Vetrano
    Participant

Here’s what I got. Pulled the blanket off and it’s dirty, but the inside doesn’t look sooty, nor does anything else really. I’m the 5th owner of this 08, cant find any previous records of an exhaust repair. I’ve had the boat 2.5yrs, and I found pics from when I bought her……the blanket today looks almost exactly as it did when I bought it. And there’s nothing mentioned on the survey.

Either way, here’s some pics…….

Robert Vetrano
    Participant

I’ll get some pics hopefully tmrw. Just curious what we’ll be looking for? Soot on the aforementioned items? I actually have 1 pic right now of my aftercooler from that motor……it’s currently bright white from my service I did 2mos ago. I’ll include the “before” pic though. I have not done the HX on this motor yet.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Exhaust Soot in engine room

Never normal..

Good pics from all over the engine are needed.. Especially on the back of the alternator, forward heat-x cap just aft of the alternator, seawater pump and entire aftercooler.

Look around the engine room at other COLD surfaces ( sea strainer, etc)–Take pics & post..

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.