• Creator
    Topic

wayne
    Participant
    Engines: cummins 330 6BTA diamonds seies

Hi
    Just after your opinion on if my exhaust will be ok for me to run an engine off fresh water flush through my outlet side of raw water pump?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Justin Riege

Exhaust assesment

There are a few things I can tell and a few things I cant tell from that pic.

What I can tell is that you have proper insulated dry riser to a shower head style mixer on the down slope. That is good. Looks like most of the available height is being used and that is good. It looks like someone put a decent quality insulating wrap on and that is also good. The raw water is coming in at a good angle near the top and somewhat tangent to the OD so that is also good.

What I can’t tell is the quality or thickness of the metal. Some of our competitors use material that just doesn’t hold up. Others use decent metal but its fairly thin. Also I can’t tell you if the spray pattern is ideal, but if you aren’t melting hoses then it must be doing its job. Lastly, on a mixer angle that shallow we often do a nozzle inside the spray ring to make it harder for water to reach the inside of the mixer… I can’t tell if there is a nozzle. Also I cannot tell where the water line is.

You said the exhaust just goes straight out the transom No muffler, no surge tube. That could be a bit risky unless this turbo is well above the water line. We typically like to have a surge tube, or muffler, or both.

What to do moving forward.

If you really want to put forth some due diligence, you could remove the riser and inspect the turbo and internals of the mixer. Post pics of the inside of the turbo and the mixer.

Also post pics of the rest of the exhaust so we could see.

If the turbo is sitting a least 6″ above the water line, plus the height of the riser chances are you are okay. The higher the better.

Based on all of this it’s up to you how deep you want to dig. Pulling the riser and checking the turbo is pretty cheap insurance to make sure you the turbo is getting any water splashing back.

wayne
    Participant
    Engines: cummins 330 6BTA diamonds seies

Yeah sorry I realise the pic was crap and will try and get some better ones , the exhaust is pretty simple what you can see there pretty much goes straight to the back and out no mufflers, but I will grab some more photos this weekend

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Shower head look ok . What is downstream?

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

We are going to need to see your entire exhaust system from the shower head to exit, not just the angle. Do you have any type of muffler?

Letā€™s see it all from a few angles.

Phil

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.