• Creator
    Topic

Keith Giller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riv. 43
    Engines: Cummins 450 Diamond

Not sure this is the forum but thought I’d try. I’m contemplating replacing my hynautic controls with electronic ones. I have Diamond 450’s 6CTA. I think they’re (one of them anyway) is damaging my port transmission. My last trip this past weekend the port transmission would not engage in fwd but did in reverse. Everything was fine on the way out until I pulled the anchor. I checked the trans oil and it was black and smelled burnt. So hobbled home on one engine and kept the port running in neutral so water would hit the shaft. My mechanic is looking in to it of course. The previous owner had the port trans rebuilt because the port hynautic was slipping and caused damage. Wonder if it happened again. So that was the long way of asking if replacing the hynautics would potentially solve the problem. A costly proposition I’m guessing. Thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Well it all depends on how you’re boat is configured and if you do the work yourself… the hard parts can easily run you ~$5k for a simple twin engine setup…

If you want a hard quote, complete this form: https://www.sbmar.com/glendinning-control-systems/

Keith Giller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riv. 43
    Engines: Cummins 450 Diamond

Thanks…

Thanks so much Corey. I’m local as well so lets see what we find out with the transmission first. With the little research I’ve done and spoken to other who have made the move to electronic controls I’ve heard from 5-9K on the systems, which includes the removal of the old system and install of the new one. Any truth to that?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Keith, if you have mechanical 450 C’s and mechanically shifted transmissions then the only viable electronic control system we would offer would be the Glendinning Smart Actuator II system (SAII). It is a very refined and reliable system but of course they are not cheap. We have repowered many vessels that have transitioned from the older Hynautic systems to the newer Glendinning and all have been happy with the results and functionality of the systems. I would argue that the new SAII system is overall way more simple as well.

But more to your point, if your gear issue is indeed caused by the Hynautic system (constant slippage), then it will need to be mitigated one way or another, either fix the system (which you should be able to do with competent assistance) OR replace it and move on.

Of course if there is some other external issues causing your gear troubles, then replacing the system won’t have any affect.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.