• Creator
    Topic

Dave Shapiro
    Participant
    Vessel Name: #NotYet

I have a 2010 SeaRay Sundancer 500 w QSC 550s and Zeus Pods.
    The PO had the dieselview replaced with a VesselView7

Under the “ADVANCED” tab I get
    Load
    Throttle
    Boost
    Trans Oil Pressure
    But no where do I see Exhaust Gas Temps.

I know there is a sensor for it because I had one go bad at the beginning of the season and it threw off an alarm code.

Is there any place I can monitor those values? Any way to program it into the VesselView7?
    Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Shapiro
    Participant

Thanks Dave,
    Thinking about it, I think you are correct for my situation as well. That EGT sensor is indeed in the water flow.

Not sure I am going to install another sensor..

Dave Shapiro
    Participant

Hi Steve,
    This is my first year with the boat and with pods.
    I bought the boat knowing the pods had deferred maintenance and negotiated accordingly. I had them fully serviced and as a result, I now have a low hour boat with all maintenance up to snuff and intend on keeping it that way. I have read some of the stories on pods, as you have mentioned. I have not experienced them. I do think it is important to have a certified cummins/mercruiser mechanic in your general vicinity to do the maintenance for you. The technology on these are significantly more than ye olde straight shaft boats. Just like automatic transmissions have more tech than standard transmissions or fuel injection has more tech than a carb.
    What you get along with that technology is a 50′ boat that handles like it is on rails, increased fuel economy and performance. The handling isn’t just with the joystick, even when maneuvering in close quarters just with the clutches, the boats handling is superior.
    I highly recommend the package.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

A couple of questions if you don’t mind

DS,

have you encountered any maintenance issues with the pods? They are 10 years old and I have “read” that there are some hydraulics issues that can be expensive. How long have you owned the boat? I am asking to understand your yearly maintenance cost on those pods. I am more of a shaft and prop kind of boater(I have been called old school) and have stayed away from pods because I am adverse to the perceived limits to finding the specialty training needed by a boat yard to service these pods and the cost of servicing them.

My wife and I have a gas powered 40 and we are looking to upsize. I am a fan of the shaft drive 48 Dancer and have stayed away from the pod drive 50. We will be cruising the great lakes extensively and will find ourselves in remote areas. Not sure if we would be able to find pod service easily or at all. I am interested in real world experience if you are willing to share.

We are headed to Annapolis on Friday to spend the entire day Saturday looking at Fleming55’s. If that does not pan out we are back to looking for a bigger Sea Ray. There are 48/50 options and 52 Sedan Bridge options for us in our general area.

Forever on the hunt…

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

Although my QSC’s are 3 years older the exhaust temp sensors are not for EGT but are for water flow through the exhaust. If the water stops that area heats up fast and is a good early warning of problems.
    If you want actual EGT’s you will need to install sensors inside the exhaust.

Dave Shapiro
    Participant

Thanks Steve.
    I love winter reading!

I burn between 40-41 gph with 1/2 tank of water and 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel
    2600 gets me 28-29 knots usually

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

You might need to dig in a bit

I have older Smartcraft electronics but the idea should be the same. If you spend sometime digging into the Settings screens, you as the operator can setup custom screens and data values. The EGT data value may be buried in the “settings” screen. The online docs indicate “Data available varies based on power package” You may also need to rescan for the sensor.

https://samerwebapp01apncus01.azureedge.net/mmgw-env-b/filer_public/f2/33/f233d887-6d1b-4bd1-98c2-f2cc1611517f/8m0111136.pdf

The above is the online docs for VesselView7. Page 39 looked like it might provide the ability to find the data value and turn it on.

I have a favorites screen on my Smartcraft display. I was able to read the manual and figure out how to place the desired data values on that screen so that I could quickly see the stats that I want.

Some good winter reading.

BTW………… What is your fuel burn and vessel speed at 2600RPM on those QSC’s?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.