• Creator
    Topic

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

So I have heard the 6cta 480 described as ‘hybrid’ electronic/mechanical injected engine. what does this mean? how exactly does the fuel system on a 480 work and how is that different than a true mechanical engine and a qsb?

I’m aware of the problems with the valve seat and how to address that…but just trying to understand the fuel system.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Did some more searching……..

I ran across a Q+A site run by JCTech. A diesel Mechanic with what appears to be some solid experience. here is a quote from him……

“The 6CTA engine uses a Bosch P7100 mechanical fuel pump, it is a purely mechanical engine.

The 480CE uses a Bosch mechanical fuel pump with an electronic governor and a Cummins electronic control system.”

So I figure that the detail around how the governor actually does its job and what the control system actually does is at the heart of the matter. So yes you are correct that the 480 is not Common Rail but a mix of mechanical Bosch fuel pump and some electronics in there doing a few things.

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

I have a hunch that the 480ce is a non-common-rail engine with electronically controlled injectors. But this is a wild ass guess based on looking at pictures(!).

Hopefully someone who knows will educate us.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

I am interested as well

JK,

I have read the same description and have the same curiosity. I have not asked, but since you have asked I will hop on the bandwagon and indicate my interest in the answer as well.

Are the electronics just for measurement or are they materially involved in the delivery of fuel to the cylinders?

I did some quick google searches and did not come up with anything. Tony, any chance there is something already written that we can read?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.