• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Bill.
  • Creator
    Topic

bdunigan
    Participant

I am looking for comments on the exhaust architecture on a Sabre 42 with QSB engines and Zeus Pods. The DeAngelo stainless elbows have been suffering premature cracks at the welds. The attached pictures show the elbow leaving the exhaust flange, turning down 120 degrees. A 6″ long hump hose is attached. On the other end of the hump hose is a 6′ FRP tube that runs to the exhaust outlet on the pod. A ‘strap type’ stanchion secures the elbow. There is no support for the frp tube from the hump hose to the pod 6′ further aft so the hump hose carries the full weight of the tube which is full of sea water (below waterline) and has both an exhaust bypass hose attached to it as well as a pod tans cooler hose strapped to it. IOW, it is heavy. The ‘strap-stanchion’ system is usually installed to give ‘resting’ support to the elbow. However, a Cummins rep recently commented that this system should actually be putting ‘outward’ pressure on the elbow. Can anyone say what the correct installation should be? I also believe the frp tube should be supported to carry the weight of the frp tube rather than have the hump hose carry this weight. Comments? Thanks. Ā 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA (2001)

No, two different alloys. Ā But both good for high temp and high corrosion environments. Ā <br /><br />Anyway sorry to distract from your original question, which Iā€™m not qualified to answer. Ā 

bdunigan
    Participant

The elbows pictured here are 316 stainless as far as I know. The replacements DeAngelo build for me last season are AL6XN. Is that the same as INCONEL?

Bill
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA (2001)

Are you sure thatā€™s stainless? Ā I recently had Dā€™Angelo make me new mixing elbows and they made them out of INCONEL. Ā Super hard and very salt tolerant. Ā Sure looks like yours may be that as well. Ā Might want to check with Dā€™Angelo. Ā 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.