• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

I´m having interference problems with a cummins 6bta and velvet drive. The damper plate (velvet drive) is rubbing against the gear (velvet drive 72C). Almost like there is supposed to be a gasket or shim between the adapter plate and the gear. Any help would be appreciated.

D

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hot Mess
    Engines: 4bt

awesome, good luck to ya!

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Wesner
    Participant

I had a damper failure. I believe it was caused by poor spline engagement??? It was originally installed with the spring hub facing forward.

I wanted better spline engagement and installed it facing aft. I was able to get some great help form MDS and Harbor Marine in Washington State. Ended up going with a spacer between the gear and flywheel adapter plate. There were a bunch of options, one was installing it with the damper forward as before, and using a thinner and flatter adapter plate. Some other suggestions were flywheel modification. I think I have it sorted out, parts arrive tomorrow for install and testing.

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hot Mess
    Engines: 4bt

did you have the pump replaced on the VD? I’m asking because of the grease around the seal of the input shaft.

The last VD I rebuilt was in about 2006. I told the customer that I didn’t want to rebuild it because the specs on the pumps aren’t the tolerance that they used to be. I let him talk me into rebuilding it anyway (he was a longtime great customer) When I bolted the pump down, you could feel resistance when spinning the input shaft (this spins the pump). I told him I would be impressed if that transmission lasted more than a week. It lasted a day.

Anyway, moral of the story, If you had that pump replaced, I would bet its not identical to the old pump.

I’m not familiar with the damper plates on your engine, but the damper plates on the engines I am familiar with, have no shimming involved, they bolt flat to the flywheel, however, you can bolt them backwards (flipped) and the damper plate would be a little more extruded towards the transmission if that makes sense.

The pump itself attaches with 4 bolts, and has no shimming. There is just a large o-ring that seals the pump to the plate

David Wesner
    Participant

some pictures of the interference.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.