• Creator
    Topic

James DeCristofaro
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Grand Marnier
    Engines: Twin '91 Cummins 6BTA5.9-M1 250hp

On the Seaboard Marine site under Tony’s Tips/Articles there’s a series of pictures under the title “Custom Dry Exhaust Wraps”. I attached two of the pictures below.

I’d like to wrap the dry exhaust sections on two 6BTA5.9s in that same way. I also attached a picture on one of the sections and wraps I have now, and I’d like to clean them up a bit. (there used to be thin foil/fiberglass blankets over the existing wrap, but they’re old and falling apart). I know I can get blankets, but at $500 each I’d rather put that money elsewhere, and I don’t mind the look of the basic wraps at all.

Does anyone know what it is, and where I can get that same type of “Custom Dry Exhaust Wrap”? Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

James DeCristofaro
    Participant

Ok. Thanks for pointing out that there will likely be some heat transfer – rather than more retention – with the foil backing.

My thought then is if I apply the foil wrap over the existing wrap (see picture already posted above) I will add to the already present wrap’s heat retention a little more, and get a more easier-to-maintain finish job.

And as far you writing “I know the foil face exists” – it may very well exist, but so far the only places I see online that have some sort of version of foil wrap are in England, New Zealand, Australia, China, etc.

I wrote to the forum – to understand more about how foil wrap might perform, and to find the source of the foil wrap used in the pictures posted on Seaboard Marine..

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I know the foil face exists, may point was about the effectiveness of the foil faced wrap vs. just having the weave material if you go that route. The foil will add some to the heat transfer properties of the wrap and also makes it easier to keep clean.

James DeCristofaro
    Participant

Foil Facing on Exhaust Wrap

Rob,

There are several pictures of a “foil faced” type exhaust wrap on the Seaboard site under the title “Custom Dry Exhaust Wrap”. I posted them on my initial post of this thread. If you scroll up to the beginning of the thread, you’ll see the pictures and my initial inquiry.

When I saw installations, I thought it might be a better way then just plain cloth (fiberglass, titanium, lava rock, whatever). Better looking, better to keep clean… I don’t know – that’s why I thought I’d ask. I’m familiar with many of the online sites – Summit, Jegs, etc. – but haven’t been able to find any wraps like the pictures. So I asked what the foil wrap was and where I could find some. You’ll also see Tony’s response.

I posted them below again in case you can’t find them at the beginning of the thread.

James

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Foil Faced Exhaust Wrap ??

I’m not understanding the foil facing on the exhaust wrap….my understanding has always been to have the reflective product on the areas around the heat source that you are trying to protect from the heat….not on the component that is the source of the heat..

Goto Summit Racing and JEGS Performance and check out all of the header wrap options if you want to find a wrap that looks better than an ace bandage.

James DeCristofaro
    Participant

Dry Exhaust

Tony,

This thread was actually about the difference between covering the dry section of a custom marine exhaust with a blanket versus covering it with a wrap.

I’m not in any way disputing that the exhaust blankets that Seaboard and ATP install are top notch – “high quality and good looking” – nor am I trying to find another company that does it better.

I happened to run across pictures of a wrap – not a blanket – with some sort of foil facing that had the potential to perhaps be more serviceable and better looking than a conventional fiberglass-only wrap (not better than an exhaust blanket). And I wanted to learn more about it.

In any case, grateful as always for the service you and the crew at Seaboard provide. Much appreciated.

James

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Custom Exhaust Wraps

James,

I think what this thread is really about is how someone can help you find a less expensive solution for finding a high quality and good looking wraps for custom exhaust risers…. I have offered all that I have learned over that past 20++ years..

That is a good thing to research, and if you find such a company that meets the specs we need as to quality, fit, and and company easy to deal with ( we average 15-25 wraps a year and have basically ZERO redo’s), please share their info…………..That would be a good thing..

Tony

James DeCristofaro
    Participant

Exhaust Wrap vs Blankets

Attached are a several pictures of what I need “wrapped. I apologize – I can’t seem to get the pictures to stand upright.

The first two are with the currently installed fiberglass wrap on each engine, the last two are pictures of an older thin blanket that came with the boat, one with the wrap on the exhaust and one with the wrap off the dry exhaust lying on the engine room floor.

I completely understand that Advance Thermal Products makes a very good blanket. I had actually sent an email to you earlier off this forum and you directed me to them. I got a price proposal, but as I mentioned above, at $495 each.

I don’t disagree – the ATP blankets are a very good solution (and as I found when I got several other proposals from other companies, competitively priced for the quality).

But are blankets the only way to professionally treat the dry exhaust section of a marine exhaust system?

It would seem that a carefully applied good quality “custom dry exhaust wrap” system can do the job just as well. It may not look as “modern” as a custom exhaust blanket, or perhaps not last as long, but still, unless I’m missing something, it does the job required – with almost $1000 left for other engine expenses.

I first explored trying to find a custom blanket like the existing ones – very thin and more cosmetic than protective but together with the fiberglass wound wrap had done the job since 1991 – but I could not find a company that made thin blankets. So I thought I would try to just add another layer of a new wound wrap over the existing to increase the insulation and make it look cleaner and newer.

That was the reasoning for my request for the what appears to be some sort of foil faced wound wrap.

Tony Athens

The pictures you posted are not what we normally supply..

Karen Jan–They were OWNER SUPPLIED.

0648 was temporary until the new wrap arrived..

If you look thru my site, 99% of the wraps we do look like the attached pictures..

They come from Advanced Thermal Product in Irvine Ca…… Expensive but for what we do, we think they are the best..

Why not post some good pics what what you need “wrapped” ???

Tony

Tony Athens

The pictures you posted are not what we normally supply..

Karen Jan–There were OWNER SUPPLIED.

0648 was temporary until the new wrap arrived..

If you look thru my site, 99% of the wraps we do look like the attached pictures..

They come from Advanced Thermal Product in Irvine Ca…… Expensive but for what we do, we think they are the best..

Why not post some good pics what what you need “wrapped” ???

Tony

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.