• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

So, New to me 6BTA keel cooled with Cav pump.

No smoke from crankcase vent when cold. When the engine warms to operating temp I start to see more mist from the breather tube. From what I have read on the forums, this may be due to too much oil in the pan. I’m going to change the oil and filter and start fresh. I’ve also read on the correct level, but am getting some different amounts depending on the thread or article. Is it 8-9 quarts or 13-15 quarts? Dipstick is on the injection pump side.

I also would like to use some volvo oil I have laying around. I would think it would meet the cummins spec but found it confusing what CES for this engine. Volvo oil is API CI-4. CES-20078?

David

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

So, New to me 6BTA keel cooled with Cav pump.

No smoke from crankcase vent when cold. When the engine warms to operating temp I start to see more mist from the breather tube. From what I have read on the forums, this may be due to too much oil in the pan. Iā€™m going to change the oil and filter and start fresh. Iā€™ve also read on the correct level, but am getting some different amounts depending on the thread or article. Is it 8-9 quarts or 13-15 quarts? Dipstick is on the injection pump side.

I also would like to use some volvo oil I have laying around. I would think it would meet the cummins spec but found it confusing what CES for this engine. Volvo oil is API CI-4. CES-20078?

David

Dave, I now own my 5th 6BTA 370. The 1st two were very used in a 96 Blackfin and smoked from the breather like crazy. The last three were new ReCons bought from Tony @ Seaboard Marine that I setup the “Seaboard Way” from engine hour number one.

To your oil change capacity question?

I drain or suck out all the oil in the engine. I had Tony attached oil pan drain hoses on all three engines he shipped. I warm up the engine and attach a Water Puppy pump to the line and drain the pan dry.
    Then I add 12 qts. of 15-40 W oil. I use Rotella T4 or Mobil Delvac 1300..what ever is cheaper at Walmart.
    Wait about 15-20 mins for the 12 qts. to settle to the pan. Put your dipstick in and mark the stick with a file. I call the mark the “low mark”. Then I add one more qt…wait a bit and mark the stick again….this is my Full mark..13 qts. in the pan…..no more.

Fill the new oil filter with oil….take your time and keeping adding oil to the filter til it soaks it all in. Fill filter to top…screw it on and you are done,

If your 6BTA is puffing smoke out the breather consider adding an Envirovent System here from Seaboard.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

David,

Not sure how I missed this post……..Sorry.

No issues on using a Volvo spec 15W-40 oil.. Regardless of how confusing Cummins writes the spec, this oil will do you 100% right (using any good 15W-40 Oil made for modern diesel engines that were designed in the 80’s & 90’s.).

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.