• Creator
    Topic

Mike Bell
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Inshallah
    Engines: Cummins 6BT M220

Hi. I have 220 HP Cummins engines in my boat. Earlier this year I replaced the water lift muffler on the port engine and heat exchangers on both engines. The starboard engine measures about 120F on the very thick, old exhaust hose just below the elbow. The port engine now has a silicone hump hose on the elbow, and there is only about an inch between the exhaust elbow output and inlet to the new water lift muffler. The port engine measures 270-300F on the top and one side of the hump hose, and 120-130 on the other side and bottom. Both engines have about 4850 hours, and I have never had an overheat issue in either engine. The port engine also supplies cooling water to the stabilizers and runs the stabilizer hydraulic pump on a PTO.

The port engine exhaust temp seems high to me. I just had a mechanic from the local Cummins dealership look at it and he thought it was OK but right at the limit. He said he had never seen a muffler that close to the output and he thought the elevated temp was due to the very short distance between the elbow and muffler. He probed all the water jets in the elbow with a small pick and found no obstruction. He also measured cooling raw water pressure at the heat exchanger zinc fitting and found 1.7 psi on the starboard and 1.5 psi on the port. He thought that was not conclusive.

Does this seem normal, or do I need replacement elbow(s)?

I can post photos if that would help with any analysis.

Thanks,
    Mike Bell

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Bell
    Participant

By the way, I’m happy to pay for some consulting time if that would be more appropriate.

Mike Bell

Mike Bell
    Participant

Two more photos showing the starboard exhaust installation and the water jets in the port elbow.

The starboard side runs at 120F or so on the parts of the exhaust plumbing I can access. If you look closely you will see a raw water temp alarm sensor on this plumbing, with the nylon coating partially melted. I think this happened before I replaced the heat exchanger as the temps aren’t high enough now to melt nylon.

Mike Bell
    Participant

Hi. These photos are of the port engine, the one with the high temps just below the exhaust elbow. These show the new muffler and the adapted exhaust hose.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

good pics would be nice

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.