• Creator
    Topic

mattreigle
    Participant

I have a 6BT 210 CPL 742 with about 3000 hours since major overhaul (new head, injectors, etc).  I had a small oil leak coming out of valve cover #2 so I tightened the bolt about 1/8 turn hoping that would take care of the problem.  I immediately regretted doing that since I overtightened the valve cover bolt a little bit.  I didn’t feel anything break at the time, so I left it be, hoping everything would be good. About 30 minutes after we left the dock I went to bring the RPMs up to 2000 and noticed I could only get 1900.  I immediately brought the RPMS down to idle, opened the engine cover and saw oil everywhere. I shut it down just as the oil pressure alarm sounded. The rocker arm assembly cracked cleanly in half where the bolt is. I guess I did overtighten it…….  Luckily, we were able to limp home on a kicker motor. My question is, can I just replace the whole rocker assembly without pulling the whole head?  Looks like I have to take one of the head bolts out in order to do it.   I don’t see any other damage or metal fragments anywhere.  It looks like a clean break. What part # am I looking for?    

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

In the over  40 yrs since this design came to be,  1980-ish ?) , I have never seen this–NEVER.

Give me a few days do look at some old engines I have in stock to seen what can be done..

You need to send me a direct email to remind me.

[email protected]

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.