• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Dan.
  • Creator
    Topic

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hot Mess
    Engines: 4bt

I was performing fluid changes on my 4bt’s over the weekend, both gear boxes, and both engines. I removed the dip stick from the gear box, and the back of my hand bumped my air filter. The back of my hand had black engine oil on it, that had collected under the filter. Earlier in the year, I had some oil in my bilge, I figured out the oil was leaking out of a vent tube that is attached to the push rod inspection plate at the rear of the engines. I was doing some reading inside the forums, and it looks like I should ad a crank case ventilation system (CCV). It appears that the CCV kits sold here will not meet my needs, because it looks to attach to the timing cover plate oil fill. Where some of you may have an oil fill, that location, the cav pump drives my tachometers, so I have tach pickups.

My questions are:

Do ya’ll think the oil residue on the bottom of my air filters, and oil dripping out of the vent hoses are related?

Would a CCV system correct these issues?

Are there any other options sbmar offers for CCV systems, or could I make the system thats offered work being that my tach drives run of the cav pump?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

It appears that the CCV kits sold here will not meet my needs
    Yes they will and exceed your expectations, I have the tach pickups in the same location and had to do an install using the valve cover and ended up with this kit

EnviroVent CCV Kit 6BTA Series for V-Drive Engines

If your have an issue with height over the top of the engine you can sneak it all down a little lower if you have to. (see pic).
    Do ya’ll think the oil residue on the bottom of my air filters, and oil dripping out of the vent hoses are related?
    If you have Walker Airseps you have found your problem, also read up about oil levels in your engine (see link)
    The envirovent will fix it
    So, checking out the enviro kit, it looks that oil dumps back into the intake of the turbo?
    No,it dumps into the bottle, bypass gasses (if you have any) will go through the turbo, mine have been on for many years and hours, very little oil in them.
    Is the vent at the push rod inspection cover utilized, or eliminated?
    Eliminated, there is a cap and clamp supplied in the kit
    I considered moving the inspection cover with the vent to the front of the engine instead of the rear
    There is no need with the envirovent and doing that may compromise its operation and possibly leak oil.

For best results with the install run the hoses without any humps that will create a trap for oil,let gravity be your friend. (see pic)

Oil Pan Capacities for Cummins Marine Engines

EnviroVent CCV Kit 6BTA Series for V-Drive Engines

Dan
    Participant

Best to call them first and describe your install, mine was a combination of both types, I cant remember the exact details.

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

Dan,

That makes perfect sense. I was wondering why you would want to feed your turbo oil, potentially causing then engine to “run away”

Alright, I’m gonna order these kits

Thanks guys

Dan
    Participant

pics

Dan
    Participant

It appears that the CCV kits sold here will not meet my needs

Yes they will and exceed your expectations, I have the tach pickups in the same location and had to do an install using the valve cover and ended up with this kit
    sbmar.com/product/envirovent-ccv-kit-6bta-series-v-drive-engines/
    If your have an issue with height over the top of the engine you can sneak it all down a little lower if you have to (see pic).

If you have Walker Airseps you have found your problem, also read up about oil levels in your engine (see link)

The envirovent will fix it

So, checking out the enviro kit, it looks that oil dumps back into the intake of the turbo?

No,it dumps into the bottle, bypass gasses (if you have any) will go through the turbo, mine have been on for many years and hours, very little oil in them.

Is the vent at the push rod inspection cover utilized, or eliminated?

Eliminated, there is a cap and clamp supplied in the kit

I considered moving the inspection cover with the vent to the front of the engine instead of the rear

There is no need with the envirovent and doing that may compromise its operation and possibly leak oil.

For best results with the install run the hoses without any humps that will create a trap for oil,let gravity be your friend. (see pic)

sbmar.com/articles/oil-pan-capacities-for-cummins-marine-engines/

sbmar.com/product/envirovent-ccv-kit-6bta-series-v-drive-engines/

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

riddle me this

Is the vent at the push rod inspection cover utilized, or eliminated? I considered moving the inspection cover with the vent to the front of the engine instead of the rear, for obvious reasons like angle as you mentions Francis.

Am I just overthinking, and reinventing the wheel?

Terry Kerr
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Olphartz
    Engines: Twin 2001 6BTAs

I retrofitted mine

Ditched the Airseps and did the Envirovents, hooked up to the most forward valve cover.
    Think I will buy another valve cover with oil cap to add oil. Otherwise it might be a bit of a hassle. otherwise so far so good.
    A bit of smoke at idle, but was likely there beforehand and I didnt notice.

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

I believe you can add a vent to one of the valve covers (the one that has the screw on cap)

I installed a vent to the front timing cover and it just vents to atmosphere. I plugged the one that is on the side tappet cover.

Cleanest my engine room has been in years. The tappet cover vent is in a bad spot for a marine application just by physics. The oil is leaning down in that area via gravity when you are at the dock (bc of the engine angle) …come up getting on plane and its worse…inertia from driving pushes oil back as well…just too many variables working against the intended design

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.