• Creator
    Topic

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hot Mess
    Engines: 4bt

I’m searching for a lucus cav pump for 4bt part number on the pump is 3042F310, or equivalent?

I purchased a 4bt for. Spare engine that the serial number cross references to a marine engine. However the HP tag says 76 horsepower as apposed to 150. I was going to use that pump, but it seems yhe pump regulates the horsepower.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

CAV pump ended up being a loose banjo bolt at the outlet line for the number 2 injector.

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

So,

There is no serial plate on the starboard engine. I always thought it was there, but unfortunately it is not. The tags on the pumps are identical though, so at least I know both pumps are the same. My buddy that works for Cummins says he found a pump, at at this moment is waiting on availability. I am rushed for time, as I am having the boat delivered to its new home on Thursday, and hopefully will be spending the weekend with tight lines.

Anyway. the pump tag is as such

U3042F310
    17880058FDU
    99L1400-9-3075

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

A friend of mine, who works for a Cummins dealership, purchased a 4bt for an individual, and he was going to put it in his old jeep. He decided to not put it in his jeep, and I offered to buy it as a spare engine.

He ran the numbers through his Cummins directory, and it came back as a marine engine, so I purchased it from him.

The pump that is leaking, is the pump in my boat, on the starboard side.

My boat is moored at a friends boat house. I text him and asked for pictures of the engine tag, and pump tag. I have the engine and pump tag off the port engine. That engine and tag was easier to access than the other engine. If the pump is that specific, the. I’ll get the actual leaking pump tag and engine tag.

Thanks a bunch

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

it probably will not be as easy as pie but it is doable so have faith. Is it for a spare engine???

I know it sounds redundant but keep the thread separate. I will post on your other thread. These topics archive and are used by others for troubleshooting problems

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

So it’s not gonna be as easy as crossing a part number and ordering a part. Lol.

In jacking with my warm engine issue, I found on the other engine, the pump is leaking. I was going to buy a pump, and send this one off, and have it rebuilt as a spare.

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

Shannon

The CPL on the timing cover and the serial number of the engine would tell us exactly what that particular engine was originally equipped with.

The CAV pumps have their own metal tag that has a bunch of numbers that directly correspond to the internals of the CAV pump.

Basically the CPL will have specific camshaft, pistons, injectors etc… and these parts work with the injection pump.

Different CPLs call for different configurations regarding what I mentioned above. The main thing is to understand that they all need to work together or the engine will def not run correctly.

U3042F670
    109L1400/9/3075

The top and bottom lines are the important ones and are from my 4BT 150HP CPL741

Your pump tag shows similar to mine but an authorized pump shop could verify if it is correct. It is possible that different CAV pump numbers were used over the years of the engine being produced.

Maybe someone on here can shed a bit more light on the topic

Can you see other lines of numbers on the CAV plate? The bottom line is important regarding the duration and pressures etc that the pump squirts on each stroke or something like that…

again an authorized CAV pump service person has the master book to look up those numbers

Also: I know you had problems attaching picture but try it again and if you could take pics of the cummins timing cover plate (if it is still there) and the serial number plus the tag on the CAV pump

and on another note:
    The local CAV authorized shop by me said they have a national type database to search and request parts from other shops to help locate antiquated parts etc…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.