• Creator
    Topic

John Larson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Nordhus
    Engines: Single Cummins 6BTA 5.9

An acquaintance of mine suffered a fuel cooler breakdown on his 6BTA resulting in 16 gallons of sea water in his fuel tanks. $25k later, he’s up and running again BUT… I’ve decided to nip that possibility in the bud and install one of your kits. Now, I rebuilt V8s and British 4 cylinder car engines in my youth so I can turn a wrench. I’ve tackled oil changes/filters and fuel filter changes on the 6BTA in our boat so the diesel world is coming into focus. I’ve also watched your tutorial video on fuel cooler removal. I have only one diesel “newbie” question about the process. In the video, your new fuel return line fitting and fuel supply line fitting were left unattached to anything. Is it as simple as installing a hose between these two fittings? I’ve looked at the “maze” before picture and it looks like the return line ran through the fuel cooler, out to the combo block then out and up to the supply line area above. True?

Photo of engine ID tag is attached.

Many thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

firehoser75
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA M3-330 HP

Kevin,
    Due to ease of doing it, I just ran a fuel hose from the red circled “return” to the combo block where the “lower” hose off the fuel cooler enters the combo block. It works great, but does not address the leak potential of the combo block.

Kevin Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Joysea
    Engines: 270 Cummins

If a person wanted to just remove the fuel cooler, could they disconnect the 2 hoses circled in blue and connect them together?
    Kevin

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Fuel cooler removal/bypass

Look at the picture..

Totally dump the Combo-Block and anything to do with the fuel cooler..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.