• Creator
    Topic

Steve
    Participant

Cummins 6CTA

Came back from a long trip (2 months/1100 miles) and all engine systems were to spec. Shortly after getting back I changed the fuel filters and cleaned the air filters. I also did some interior work that may have affected my turbocater boost lines.

Last week we took the boat out and she came up on plane fine and spooled up to 2650 RPM. However I noticed that the starboard motor boost lagged and only came up to around 10 PSI at WOT. Normally itā€™s pushing 30 at WOT and settles down to 15 at 2100 RPM. Only question is would the motor spool up without good boost? Iā€™m inclined to believe I did something to the boost gauge line.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

DC, nice … funny last time we were in DC we watched fireworks – but that was New Years Eve and we were obviously not on the boat. Have fun, be safe!

Steve
    Participant

Thanks Rob/Corey

Reset the tubing at the motor and looked for any kinks in the line. Haven’t reset the line at the gauge yet. We’re up in DC for the 4th and the trip up was uneventful with normal power and speed. EGT on both motors to spec and no smoke. As you surmise I believe it’s the line. FYI I pulled a cabinet off the wall to fix a water leak coming through a conduit and may have affected the line putting the cabinet back in place. Anyway… after checking the gauge connection I plan to use a test gauge at the motor to rule out any turbo issue.

Happy 4th!
    Steve

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You still made you’re rpm’s as normal under load so should be a gauge thing. Were the corresponding EGT’s still normal? What did you do to the boost line that “may have affected it” ?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

How long is the run on the boost tubing? Try re-seating the engine and gauge ends into the fittings and see if that helps… you’ll have to do another run to check the boost though…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.