• Creator
    Topic

Scott
    Participant

Cpl 1975 330. Serviced aftercooler but put the oring in the cap instead of like you show in the video. Do not do this. Aftercooler leaked sea water to the air side during sea trial so when I pushed the throttles up the engine slowed down. Backed the throttles to 1500 and limped back to the dock (30 minutes).
    Shut down the engines and serviced the aftercooler the CORRECT way and reinstalled. Also changed the last chance filter.
    Engine turns over but will not start. Installed a semi bypass squeeze bulb and get the squeak and occasional fire but still no start. Cranking with throttle wide open while priming, anything else I can do?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I hope you learn from this!..

Tony

Scott
    Participant

sweet success

squeezing bulb and pressing the lift pump plunger WITH the throttle open got it lit. Even an octopus would need help on this one. No water from aftercooler!

I would not let the admiral crank for more than ten seconds at a time without resting, that probably slowed the process as well.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

#4ā€”Battery chargedā€“Prime with a squeeze bulb and the pump on the side of the injection pumpā€“You need the ā€œhearā€ a good squeak.
    Tony

Further to Tony’s instruction above — if you can reach the pump and the squeeze bulb do both together or get a helper.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1—————-Check you oil for MILKY Stuff and oil level.. Look under the fill cap for water

#2————Remove the grid heated top on the aftercooler–4 bolts, hose clamps, and the turbo hose

#3————-Leave that off until we get the engine running

#4—Battery charged–Prime with a squeeze bulb and the pump on the side of the injection pump–You need the “hear” a good squeak.

#5–100% full throttle–crank away for a full minute if needed–Be sure the solenoid is up during the ranking

#6———When it starts, back down to about 1400 for 15+ minutes — let it run.. Then bring it up to 1800-2400 RPM in neutral and see if water is blowing out of the aftercooler..

Report back.

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.