• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Two years ago I had belt tensioner and belt changed by a mechanic and yesterday both went on my 480 ce.I ordered new from seaboard and am awaiting parts . I should have gotten way more life out of those parts but as you can see in picture it cracked and pulley was seized.Not sure the sequence of events but suspect roller seized causing belt to snap casting.Is there anything to watch for when installing the new parts.would like to get more life out of the new parts.I ordered extra tensioner to have in my parts kit.Of course it went while offshore.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

I had a similar failure on a ZF Hurth mounting bracket. That looks like a casting issue. Probably just a freak thing but it could have been costly… (over heat, or even worse in bad weather and seas…)

It really dont matter now but if you look at the “break” closely you can look for a discoloration that is not clean like the rest of the break. If there is a noticeable area than that is prob the case. Def a unique failure.

Good luck with the new one.

1 user thanked author for this post.

William Walter
    Participant

Tensioner

Ok all set now .Never changed a tensioner so I was afraid to spring it too far and damage it after seeing the other one crack.put an extension handle on my ratchet and all went well.Thanks again Bill

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Any tips on installing belt after tensioner put back. I loosened alternator but still not enough play to get belt back on. Thanks Bill

No ….. the tensioner is called a tensioner because that is what it is —- it is spring loaded. Put the alternator back where it was and use a square drive in the hole on the tensioner to back off the tensioner so you can slip on the belt. See my attached pic.

Here’s a YT clip, this guy is freaky but the info and demo’s are good:
    https://youtu.be/xQ1udKJ-x6o

William Walter
    Participant

Installing belt

Any tips on installing belt after tensioner put back. I loosened alternator but still not enough play to get belt back on. Thanks Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

A very odd failure–Never seen that, ever………………….Look closely over the casting to see where it was made–it’s definitely genuine, but Cummins has them made in multiple places and has more than one vendor for them.. Originally, most all said DAYCO on them “someplace”..

You might remove the pulley and save it..

William Walter
    Participant

Hey Rob hope alls well with you.Yes all up front spinning well and feel tight.Was a big mess to clean but never got over 190 on temp. I havenā€™t changed those parts yet as last time I had a mechanic do it so I was wondering about the belt tension. In the past I always adjusted with alternator bracket on my gas engines.Failed at Cerberus shoal. Long ride back..Bill

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

With the belt off does everything else on the front of the engine spin free and sound smooth, quiet and normal?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.