• Creator
    Topic

Kevin Cummings
    Participant

Hello, I’m in the process of redoing my Raw Water side on the Cummins 6BTA-M3 (370) engines. I have removed my Aftercooler core, which had been pre-assembled with some black sticky stuff, which made it difficult to remove. After several hours of banging I got the core out, and saw some minor corrosion inside the aluminum housing. Tubes were clear, and no major corrosion at the core ends.  I used  150/200 grit emery cloth to sand the corrosion areas, which has removed the black metal oxide factory coating. The larger issue was the black sticky gunk, which also needed to be sanded to remove.

Got everything cleaned up and was wondering about the bare aluminum. I saw a video where someone used a product called Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black to coat the sanded and smoothed Aftercooler areas, prior to oiling and reassembly.  I was wondering if anyone else has used this product, or if it is OK to leave the sanded Aluminum uncoated.

Was planning to oil the inside of the housing prior to reassembly with Alco-Metalube on the end and caps, per Tony’s protocol. Sending some before and after pics of the aftercooler as it stands right now.    

Thanks in advance for your advice.      

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Aftercooler housing ends–Block sand to be sure they are 100% flat– Do not worry about removing too much material.

Housing inside–Do nothing but clean them.. Follow my protocol for assembly     

The BLACK STUFF is called an  “E-Coat”.. does not  matter if it comes off in places

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.