• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

My stbd side alternator does not seem to be charging. I have a balmar alternator with a c-charger 12 volt external regulator .The regulator is for both alternators so instead of 3 warning lights on front it has six unlike the manual picture. The lights are status ,error ,and parallel.Before I start pulling things apart I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this setup. Itā€™s from 2003 so Charles no longer provides tech support.Iā€™m thinking alternator may be bad or regulator or wiring in between.lights on regulator function fine and I get a green and a yellow parallel with no error light.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Walter
    Participant

Thanks for the input Denny.After doing my research and realizing the benefits of an externally regulated alternator I decided to stick with it and purchased a balmar to replace my old one.They are expensive but I hope it works out.Looked like the old one was dropped at some point because when I took it out the positive post was bent and the case was a little cracked around it .

Denny Gaultney
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Moon Jazz
    Engines: Cummins 8.3 6CTA

Alternator 6CTA 8.3

My 1997 Tiara with 6CTA 8.3 Diamonds was outfitted with external voltage regulators and Balmar alternators.
    One finally died in 2018.
    It was prior to an extended cruise and I wanted to replace both alternators.
    I opted for new single wire Cummins 160 amp units with internal voltage regulators (purchased from Seaboard).
    At the same time I purchased and installed belts, tensioners, idlers.
    I have been very pleased with this alternator changeover and have had zero issues in 2+ years and 1,000+ hours.
    One alternator charges my 6-battery house bank in just a couple hours cruising.
    Good luck with your repairs!

William Walter
    Participant

More pictures. Hopefully better.After researching more and realizing all the added benefits and functions of the external regulator I think I like to stick with that.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I can’t tell for sure, but I do not see anything “factory” as to mounting a J-180 Mount alternator that every Marine version of the 8.3 came has come with since the early 90’s/late 80’s.. ………..Something very odd. Why someone would modify an engine to use small frame alternator is beyond me.

Your pics are way too close up, plus you need to show views without the belt guard if you want to sort this out.

William Walter
    Participant

So my alternator is shot.Iā€™m thinking the 22si 3 wire on site Is the way to go.my old alternator was a balmar externally regulated 100 amp.pictures enclosed. Iā€™m assuming that the alternator on site is internally regulated. I see that alternator is 130 amp which will help because that alternator charges the house side.I know I had a different belt also then the standard with the balmar.would this alternator require me to go back to other belt.thanks Bill

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

Balmar has a good troubleshooting guide available for download on their site. I realize your regulator is a charles but following the troubleshooting steps will help you figure out if it’s the regulator or alternator or something else.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.