• Creator
    Topic

George Hollendursky
    Participant

Which direction does the alternator tension adjuster bolt loosen? Is it left or right to loosen it? Or is there some other trick to loosen the alternator to get the belt off?I even used a 15″ breaker bar after spraying with PB Blaster penetrant. This is on a Back Cove 34 with a Cummings QSB 6.7.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Besides the tension bolt, loosen to lower pivot bolt so you can push on the alternator to loosen the belt.. The system seems to work, but I have my doubts as to the overall engineering behind it…….. It has room for error.

BTW, the actually belt used here is made by Hutchison Aerospace in the UK — It is one of the stretchy series and we call it our silver belt ————-  8PK1474  stretchy       You should see that number on the belt?<br />  ..

George Hollendursky
    Participant

Not sure the pdf  got attached.

George Hollendursky
    Participant

In the photo with my original post I was able to remove the bolt that still has some paint on it. I could see the threads for the tensioner they did not look terribly corroded. I did spray a lot of PB Blaster penetrant into the hole to let it soak.

In the attached pdf here I have some text blocks on some bolts asking if they need to be loosened  for the tensioner to move. However they are so heavily coated with paint and on the crowded back side of the alternator that I can not get a socket on them. Is there a way to get the paint off?

Thanks

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Left to loosen… you shouldn’t need that much torque unless you’re dealing with some serious corrosion on the threaded bolt?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.