• Creator
    Topic

Peter McKibbin
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Focus
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 250

Am trying to find some information on air requirements for 250 HP 6BTA JWAC engines.

Current air intake uses 2 off 6 slot aftermarket stainless vents on the port and starboard sides.
    Each slot has 3″ x 1/2″ opening = 1.5″sq x 6 = 9″sq for each vent.
    2 off vents provide 18″ open area for each engine.

Will be adding another vent to give a total of 27″sq open area for each engine.
    Also, have 2 off 6″ centrifugal blower exhausting hot air from the engine room.

Note that the boat has never run at WOT since I purchased it so haven’t been able to check if the engines are getting enough air by opening engine hatches while underway.
    After reading this incredibly informative forum I figured that the aftercoolers were blocked, local Cummins wanted to cut open JWAC to clean them !!!!!
    Couldn’t find a big enough ultrasonic cleaner and don’t have the time to build a unit so purchased new aftercoolers (Yes, they were new, boxed, bagged and covered in protective grease).

What I would like some help with is working out how much air is required at 100% load and WOT.

Cheers

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Engine room Air Ventilation thoughts

Do your best———————————————-Get what you can get “sq inches wise”, but balance water spray as a major thing you MUST deal with..

Next, so you can think “the field” and not just what is in a book…………I want to be sure your understand it all so you do not just add more sq inches and not think think about other ramifications that can bring..

If you were to interpolate air intake specs from various engine manufactures, you would probably come up w/ what I did years ago…

The average air consumption of a diesel engine(4 cycle) is ABOUT 200 CFM per 100 H.P. produced. Although this is a rough average, youĀ“ll find that by looking through engine literature/air cleaner literature, etc., this is a reasonable # that you can use for planning purposes…

Next if you do the same thing with “recommended ventilation requirements” printed by the various manufactures in their installation guidelines, youĀ“ll be able to average out that the typical “square inches” needed or “recommended” is about 50 sq. inches per 100 H.P… Sounds like a lot, but one of the things besides restriction that the engineers want to accomplish is to slow down the velocity of the air movement in the engine room (at least this is a consideration that needs to be considered, especially in smaller engine rooms). This allows moisture/dirt, etc. to drop out of the air before making it to the air inlet. Eng. room temp. also plays a major part is the overall equation and besides keeping the max temp below about 120 F., it would be common to see a manufacturer recommend a maximum delta of 30 F. between outside ambient and the eng room… From my past experience, in many cases one can reduce this “recommendation” to about 25 -30 sq.-30 per 100 H.P. and still meet the ventilation needs.

Another simple # I’ve been using for years that works for planning purposes is to do w/ the other end of the engine; exhaust flow is typically about 2 1/2 times the intake flow (about 500 CFM per 100 H.P. produced)

Tony

2 users thanked author for this post.

Peter McKibbin
    Participant

Moisture Eliminators

Thanks Tony.
    Might lose a bit of area due to flange size of units but will try and keep as close to 50″sq as possible.
    Certain that a moisture eliminator will improve not just the quantity of air in engine room but quality as well.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

A good rule of thumb is 50 sq. inches per 100 HP… This sounds like a lot but itĀ“s about the average recommendation from interpolating various manufacturers specs I looked (all the big names)..

On a Yanmar “Quick Reference” sheet, the required ventilation is listed as 1218.19 (sq.centimeters, I think ??)(4LH-STE) and if this indeed is correct, then thatĀ“s about 189 sq. inches per engine.. ThatĀ“s even more than my rule of thumb..

From 20+ yrs of experience, I’ve found that one can get by with 30 sq. inches per 100 hp in most cases …Hope this helps………………………………………………………………..Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.

Peter McKibbin
    Participant

Moisture Eliminators

Found what I was looking for to cover air intakes, they are called Moisture Eliminators.

Use similar on offshore vessels I worked on previously but didn’t know if they were available for smaller applications.

Standard Rectangular Moisture Eliminators

Peter McKibbin
    Participant

Intake Vents

Thanks for sharing Tony’s rule of thumb Rob.
    So I’ll need a minimum of 125″sq for each 250 HP engine.

Thinking it would be easiest to chop out and rebuild a portion of the rear cockpit and glass over external intake vents.
    The new section will be radiused and come out 8″ from the side, into deck area then forward, the existing angled portion will be completely removed.
    Opening in new section will face aft which will reduce noise in the cockpit.
    4″ lip off the deck to try and reduce water entering cutout, the total cutout area will be 8″ x 16″= 138″sq.

Any suggestions for grill over the opening to stop water and crap entering?
    Was thinking an air-con intake screen or similar on the inside.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Tony’s rule of thumb has been 50 square inches of open air flow per 100 HP. You are well under that spec.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.