• Creator
    Topic

sean b
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Crime Pays
    Engines: QSM11

Looking for a little help with an Aftercooler issue. The 2 bolts that go up vertically into the starboard aftercooler and help hold the ac to the bracket/shelf cannot be tightened. The bolts just fall out into the bilge after running the engines for a while. The bolts look okay threadwise and I believe the holes in the ac are stripped. Cummins seems to suggest that there is no other option but to replace the ac. Has anyone had this issue?? Sean B

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

sean b
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Crime Pays
    Engines: QSM11

Thanks Justin. This is my first time posting a question so I’ll put a photo up next time once I figure out how!! You are correct though. Those are the bolts I am talking about in your photo on QSM 11’s. I’ll get a second opinion as I also think there is enough room to drill and put a larger size bolt in.

Justin Riege

I don’t see why you couldn’t put in a helicoil or tap them to the next larger size bolt. You really need to pull the after cooler to get a closer look.

Always try to post pics but since you said up from the bottom its a Dry manifold QSM 11 ???

See pic, if its these bolts, it looks to me like there is enough meat (metal) around the bolt to drill and helicoil or tap one size larger.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.