• Creator
    Topic

Larry aberg
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bubinga
    Engines: 6cta 8.3

I have a hydronic heat system onboard and want to pre hezt the motors via a heat exchanger circulation of engine coolant with a small 12v pump.

The heater port connections that Tony has published are these suitable to circulate coolant while engine is cold?

Are there better ports on the 6cta8.3 to use to preheat.

The temp of the hydronic system is 143 to 165 F so should be good.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Larry aberg
    Participant

Preheat update

The hydronic pre-heat unit works great it takes 20 minutes to circulate the engine coolant through the heat exchanger and the engine is up at approximately 150 degrees F.

no more smoke at start up!

it took 2days for the install mounting the heat exchangers and installing mini valves and new hoses plus the electrical wiring and switches. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

I had all the equipment purchased 10 years ago when we installed the hydronic boiler system no there was no expense currently other than my cheap labor.

Larry aberg
    Participant

Low tech

We keep our boat at 50f all winter so its natural to turn off the electric pad heaters and circulate some warm water thru the engines.

Compared to the lifep04 battery system and charging via alternator this is low technology. I will let you know if it was worth it.

Larry

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The port we show are good.Ā 

Curious–

What such a complex system?

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

I’m planning to do something similar with an Espar type heater. What you described is what I was planning. Using those ports for a bus heater and also diesel fired pre heater using a manifold system.

D

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.