• Creator
    Topic

Chris J
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Brigadoon
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 M3

Hello,

I’m in the process of replacing my electronics with Garmin MFD’s. I’m curious what kind of data can be pulled into the NMEA2000 bus from the 6CTA? I’m hoping to pull – RPM’s, Load, GPH, Temps, and anything else I can get out of it.

Appreciate the feedback.

Chris

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kevin Lee
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Leeway
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA8.3-M3 CPL# 2172

I am in the closing stages of doing what you want. I have removed all my analog gauges, updated some senders on the engines (6CTAs), and built a new dash (see attached photos).

I already had a functioning N2K backbone on the boat. I ordered a pair of the SMX DigitalView kits from Corey, with the EGT, boost, and NMEA2000 options. Though the gauges are a little small if that’s all you’re using, it’s fine when combined with the Garmin 1242xsv Plus MFD and the two Garmin GMI20 screens. In the photos, you’ll see a Garmin 7612xsv on the dash, but that’s now been sold as of yesterday and will be replaced by the 1242xsv Plus. The reason for changing this is I’m going to be adding some Maretron N2K equipment and will be configuring screens with their N2KView software and outputting to the new Gamin 1242 by HTML5 over Garmin’s OneHelm interface. You don’t have to go that far, but it gives the ultimate in customization.

The photos were taken late Wednesday right after installing. There was very little customization done at this point and is using nothing but what comes standard on the Garmin devices and is supplied the data over the N2K backbone by the SMX DigitalView output. I went to the Miami Boat Show the next day and wanted to get the system running so I could ask Garmin and Maretron questions. That’s where I confirmed I needed to update the Garmin 7612 to the 1242 Plus in order to use OneHelm. Again, you don’t have to go that far as you can see the data Corey’s gauges will supply.

I built the dash myself and installed all the electronics. The senders on the engine and the wiring harness hookups were done by my Cummins mechanic, Don Derudder, who Corey knows.

Since we did so much work on the boat (Don actually did most of the mechanical work) including full cooler service, replacing the turbo, aftercooler, showerhead/elbow on the port side (starboard done four years ago when I got the boat), and changed from mechanical controls to Glendinning Smart Actuator II, Don wanted to sea trial the boat with me. We did that on Saturday and we were both very pleased with the results. We also photo-tached to verify the digital tachs and at 2200 RPM they were within 5 RPM of each other.

Hope this helps,
    Kevin

2 users thanked author for this post.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

The only product we offer specifically is the SMX DigitalView which comes pre-programmed plug n play for the 6B and 6C engines…

Read more here: https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-digitalview-digital-display/

Michael Joplin
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Maggie Mae
    Engines: 6BTA

The 6CTA, like the 6BTAs in my boat are mechanical diesels. There is no onboard computer on the engine to mine for data to transmit to your displays.

There are a number of analog to NMEA convertors out there you can use to digitize data to send to your MFDs. I am in the process of looking at them now in order to make that data available on my boat.

The Actisense EMU-1 – can be set up to use one unit for limited data from 2 engines. Requires an N2K to USB convertor to program. Really needs to have 2 units to properly set up a twin engine boat

Noland Engineering has the RS-11 (single engine) and MD-33 (dual engine) convertors. They both have a USB interface and software provided for configuration

Albatross has the Alba-Combi units with an ethernet interface for programming

All the units above do similar tasks, but require varying degrees of programming due to their configurability (they can monitor quite a bit, may require a bit of programming to get things “right”).

Most recent model MFDs, including Garmin, will display engine data from a properly configured and terminated N2K network.

I am a big fan of mechanical diesels for simplicity and reliability. The one downside is that we don’t get the deep levels of data that the newer generation common rail diesels provide.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.