• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by lpmcc.
  • Creator
    Topic

John Bourgeois
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Turtle Cay
    Engines: 6CTA8.3 M2

That first time valve adjustment: I have removed the belt protective cover and I want to access the gear with the barring tool but I’m not sure of the location to engage the tool?<br /><br />Is it the bolt visible behing the pulley support?<br /><br />Does it means that I need to deassemble the pulley support?

Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

lpmcc
    Participant

I put a socket, wrench, & cheater bar on the dampener bolt on the crankshaft to rotate the engine.Ā  Takes a little umph, but it works.

1 user thanked author for this post.

John Bourgeois
    Participant

What’s that?

Well, I have tried to rotate the engine via the atlernator belt, but no way it slips. Tension is correct.

No way from the flyweel with the tool I have…

So I’m still thinking to use my barring tool but do not know where to engage it.

There is a sender on the opposite side of the injection pump (see picture) that could be location to engage the tool?Ā Ā  I guess it drives the digital tachometer: any risk to remove it to access the gear?

John.

Antonio Guzzo R.
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Intima
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA

Hello John!

Actually you don’t need a barring tool to turn the engine, you can move it thru the alternator (one direction only), just use a ratchet.

To find the TDC you need to press the engine timing pin while you turn the engine, you will find the timing pin below the injection pump. When you reach the TDC you will “feel” that the pin will engage, do it carefully, sometimes with the plastic timing pins if you reach the TDC and keep turning the engine you will shear the tip of the pin.

1 user thanked author for this post.

John Bourgeois
    Participant

Thank you for your answer.

I have found a mark on the flywheel that allows me to set the TDC, so I’m not going to use the barring tool as I’m not sure where to engage it.

John.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The gear that the barring tool engages is the ring gear at the flywheel housing.Ā  The timing pin engages the cam gear at the front of the engine.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.