• Creator
    Topic

Ron Carter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sedona
    Engines: 6C8.3TA

I recently bought a boat with these engines and the engine surveyor commented to the seller that the oil was at the low mark. The seller commented that it was supposed to be at the low mark, whereupon the surveyor replied “You must have been listening to Tony” .

The engines are 2002 model with 700 hours, mostly in fresh water. They have zero blow by. All coolers, BTW, have been serviced the “Tony way”

For some reason, I feel the urge to add a quart to each one.

I read a Tony’s tip on oil levels and did not interpret the advice the quite same way the seller did. What is correct?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ron Carter
    Participant

I have received more information from the seller and learned the engines have exactly amount of oil that Tony recommends.

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Closer to low than high.

Ron Carter
    Participant

Yes, this is what I read. Between the lines I perceive that you think running at the low mark is OK?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I see no issue in adding a quart if they are at the low mark (especially if it helps you sleep better) but I would also plan to do an oil change and take note of the # of quarts for LO and HI.

This is what you read, right?: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-pan-capacities-for-cummins-marine-engines/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.